Haeckel and Wallace from Sabrina basin

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Haeckel and Wallace from Sabrina basin

Post by quentinc »

I could probably search and find this, but does anyone have a trip report for either of these peaks (or other advice), approaching from the basin above Lake Sabrina? As usual, the climber.org reports vary from "easy class 3" to "really hard..."
Thanks.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Haeckel and Wallace from Sabrina basin

Post by giantbrookie »

Regrettably, I haven't done Haeckel. Wallace is a class 2 walk up from the northeast shoulder. I climbed it back in 1983 (from Sabrina Basin; camped at Moonlight Lake) and the person I was with was a rather slow hiker (which is why I didn't go after Haeckel, too). As I sat on the summit and gazed longingly over at Haeckel, and another climber arrived after having done Haeckel and reported the S. ridge (I believe) pretty easy except for one class 3 move.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Well, I did Haeckel last weekend

Most of the climb is Class 2, with a few moderate Class 3 moves along the ridge and then up to the summit block. But if you get off-route (my specialty), there are some hard Class 3 moves. The view from the summit was amazing! I don't think I've ever been able to identify so many peaks. I also got to look down into Evolution Basin, and McGee Lakes basin, where I was 2 weeks ago.

The slog up to Haeckel cirque: Image

Heading up to the ridge (and then right to Haeckel):

A nice view of the peaks west of Evolution basin (McGee on left):

Looking back at Wallace (I got rained out from tackling this one):

Ledges go up the middle of Haeckel (between the two high points):

Heading up the ledges:

View from summit (Darwin left, Humphreys and Tom on right):

Here's the link to the pictures of my entire 3 day trip to the Sabrina Basin (which has some of the prettiest lakes I've seen). The Haeckel climb was day 2.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567617770UywoPO
Last edited by quentinc on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice photos. They certainly put Haeckel on the map for me. It looks like a very nice climb. Just enough 3rd class to make it interesting and give the peak character but not so much as to scare me away.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;