Agnew Meadows-Marie Lakes-Lyell Fork-Blue Lake-Dike Creek-Et

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Agnew Meadows-Marie Lakes-Lyell Fork-Blue Lake-Dike Creek-Et

Post by quentinc »

CG, thanks for the scoop on the Lyell descent. I may try that route next summer.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Here's an image of that plaque from Bob Burd's website:

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Shawn,
Great photo! Thanks; it almost makes me want to go back just for a close up; but frankly, I was happy enough to get off Ritter pass without any more bumps and bruises, and crawling up to that plaque would require some skills that I almost certainly lack...........
CG
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well CG, today I was describing your trip to a buddy at work. He and I had previously spoken about the "vastness" (is that a word?) of the area behind the Ritter range. The more we talked, the more curious I became about the area.

When I arrived home I had another look at your photos and route description (great photos BTW). Guess I'm a little slow, I didn't realize upon first read the scale of your trip. I kept looking at the topo to see if there was a hidden trail in there, somewhere behind the Minarets - but apparently not.

I also had a look at some of my recent photos of the front side of the range to see if I may have caught an image of Ritter Pass by chance (see below). Anyway, the point of this message is a simple "thanks" for the inspiration to put the area on the ever expanding to do list.

Shawn

PS. My buddy enjoyed your TR as well.

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Shawn,
Great photo of Ediza basin! Yep, Ritter pass is up there, and most folks would do a better job of finding it than I did (regardless, I'd not recommend it to other than a very seasoned veteran of the hills).
Anyway, I think it was Tehipite Tom who said his favorite place in the Sierras was the last one he visited, and though there's lots of truth to that adage, the trans-Minaret region really is amazing. It's just as spectacular (if not more so) on the far side, and obviously far less used (because of the dearth of trails). However, Maverick did a trip into that area last year by starting on the West side (Granite Creek, which is also how Sierra McClure went in), and though it's a long slog, it certainly does the trick. Although I liked the expedience of the Marie route (and the beauty of the approach), I may try the westside access the next time that area comes up on the to do list.
CG
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey CG,

I'm thinking that could have been you, finding Steve Fossets hundred dollar bills, etc. up in the Minarets.
http://www.ksrw.sierrawave.net/site/con ... w/1355/48/

Shawn
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Shawn,
You know, I do keep my eyes peeled for odd bits of metal (well, the shining plaque I referred to above was too obvious to miss), balloon bits, etc, but no, I cannot take credit for this one. However, my wife and I were out on a trip when Fossett disappeared and were a bit annoyed at the repeated passes of a search plane. Once we found out what had happened, we were a bit more understanding, but man those little planes can be noisy..........though, they hardly hold a torch to military planes.
Cg