Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Financial Crisis and Sequoia

Post by dave54 »

The current philosophy in Washington DC now is to make developed recreation pay for itself, hence the fees. The private concessionaires are squeezed in the middle, they have to comply with ever more stringent gov't contract requirements and regulations, and making a total year's revenue in 4-5 months, while keeping their rates reasonable. I know I would not want to go into that business and try to make a living.

This is why I try to avoid camping in National Parks anymore. They are increasingly overcrowded, overpriced, and over regulated.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
DJG
Founding Member

Post by DJG »

Backpacking as a privilege or right? Lots of great places to go out there without paying high fees, probably without the crowds too. Economic considerations might be affecting many more of our decisions in the near future.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

rightstar76 wrote: Now by this time next year, I guess the dollar will be worth a lot less, maybe 1 to 4. So that means that Europeans will make up all the visitors at the lodge and Delaware North Corporation will then raise rates to get the most out of the crisis.

End of rant
I don't quite understand what you're saying here. In the past few weeks, the dollar has gained against the Euro, so I don't get the 1 to 4 thing. :dontknow
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

The USD has also gained steadily against the British Pound, Swiss Franc, Swedish Krona, and Canadian Dollar since this past spring.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

That was until the market tanked. If it keeps going down, our currency will drop.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

rightstar76 wrote:That was until the market tanked. If it keeps going down, our currency will drop.
Markets across the world are linked. If our market tanks, so will others. The USD is still seen as the "benchmark", and, as such, will get stronger vs. other currencies. That's what has happened over the last couple of weeks with the wild market swings.