If you could live in the Sierras - where would it be?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

If you could live in the Sierras - where would it be?

Post by snusmumriken »

Currently I live in the Bay Area and probably will for a decade or more to come. But eventually I would like to live in the mountains. Not sure where though. I have a little bit saved up (not much) so I could buy a plot of land now to build on in the future or maybe a funky cabin somewhere.

What are your favorite communities in the Sierras? Where would you pick up and move to if you could? I'd love to hear some ideas.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: If you could live in the Sierras - where would it be?

Post by dave54 »

Where I am at now.

Westwood.

Technically, the Cascades, but only by a couple miles.

Great place to live, but have a job lined up before you come here. If you come here planning to look for employment you will most likely get a part time seasonal job at minimum wage.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Tough call: I'd lean toward the east side for the spectacular scenery: Mammoth gets the winter frenzy, but has more amenities. Realistically, outside of June Lake or maybe Bridgeport would be more peaceful. But, if one needs a job, that's a catch!
CG
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I would like less snow when I retire in 10-11 years. I favor the eastern Sierra, Topaz area, south to Bishop, just can't get enough out of my place to afford something elsewhere. Those places aren't really living in the Sierra unless you live in the mountains in my definition.
Piece of cake.
Codester
Topix Acquainted

Post by Codester »

I grew up here in the June Lake area and absolutely love it. In fact, I love it so much, that I can hardly imagine even living anywhere else. Personally I think anywhere between Bridgeport and Bishop is great in the eastern sierra, including the small communities such as Crowley and sunny slopes. The access to Yosemite is just a short drive, as well as kings canyon areas, with tons of National Forests in between.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

We have a little condo in Mammoth Lakes and I love it there! When I retire I'll stay there for a few weeks at a time and do less driving. I think I could live there full time when SnowDude retires. We would have to get a bigger place, though.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Thanks everybody. Lots of voices for the Eastern Sierra from Bishop to Bridgeport. Only having visitied on my way to backpacking I've never been in winter. What's it like? Snow in the mountains obviously, but the towns such as Mammoth, Bishop and Bridgeport, do they have snow on the ground during winter months? Light dusting or shovel snow out of the driveway for six months of the year?
What about day to day things: such as is there a decent grocery store, a place that sells a good selection of fruits and vegetables?
How about the west side? It would be nice to be close to the Bay Area if I were to divide my time between the two places for a while. Anybody live in and love Sonora, Mariposa or Murphys? Or another favorite place?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Bridgeport has a market, Lee Vining a tiny, crammed store and Bishop has Vons or Safeway, just there in Aug., Mammoth has a Vons. Mammoth would be the only one that gets decent snowfall I think. Bridgeport is known for its cold winters, but great views. If Bishop didn't get so hot it would be a good choice. I like the small communities north, from Walker to Pleasant Valley just south of Topaz. Shopping for those areas would have to be done in Gardnerville/Minden. Crowley area would be nice, but I'm sure it would still be expensive, at least for my pocket book. I haven't been to the western towns since a kid in the 60's. Used to go to Sonora, Jamestown, Angels Camp, Longbarn, Strawberry. Hospital in Bishop and Mammoth.
Piece of cake.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I used to own land in Three Rivers, which is just outside Mineral King/Sequoia. A really nice little town, with truth in marketing (there really are 3 branches of the Kaweah River -- my property was along the north fork). I was going to build there, but then discovered that I vastly preferred the Eastern Sierra.
Codester
Topix Acquainted

Post by Codester »

The snow from year to year can vary from having hardly anything to shovel on small winters, to having to shovel with any free time you have. June Lake used to get snowed in all the time and the residents would be trapped in town with no way to get in or out before they put the access road (northshore drive) around June Lake. Now we have a gas-x system set up on the way into town to knock down the slides before they get too big. It usually seems like the main storms usually hit June Lake and Mammoth the hardest. But there's nothing I love more than being inside a warm cozy house, drinking a nice hot cup of coffee, while watching the snow pile up inch by inch. Another perk is that the ski area is just a short 5 minute (or less) drive from town. It's usually NEVER crowded unless it's a holiday, and you have all the untracked runs on the mountain to yourself.
As for food and groceries.. That's the one main thing that June Lake lacks.. I think the Lee Vining Market has an awesome selection of groceries and fresh veggies grown by residents in green houses. I would almost drive to lee vining over shopping in mammoth any day. Mammoth has much more of a selection, however, on holidays, it is the LAST place you would ever want to be. On a typical holiday, you could easily spend 30 minutes waiting in line at vons. Mammoth used to have a much nicer, mountainous feel to it about 10 years ago, but since Intrawest/ Starwood started developing their "village" the town has more of a "city" kind of feel to it.