What's for lunch??

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
waypoint
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

What's for lunch??

Post by waypoint »

I'm in the process of re-evaluating my Backpacking menu, especially as regards lightweight easy-to-access mid-day meals. Does anyone care to weigh-in on the contents of their Backpacking lunch box?

Happy Trails!
adam
Topix Acquainted

Re: What's for lunch??

Post by adam »

powdered hummus mix and wasa crackers. the crackers are bulky and the hummus mix requires water, but it's very light, and a lot better than it sounds (which, admittedly, is a pretty low bar). I went with a friend who foisted this on me recently, and was upset at the prospect of 5 days of this til I actually tried it. It's not as good as salami and cheese, or anything more resembling "food", but it's very light. I guess you also have to have a bowl or shallow cup to mix it up in too.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

My lunches are generally set up for convenience rather than health so they generally consist of things like the small sausage sticks packaged with a piece of cheese and eaten with a selection of flavored crackers. Since I don't eat a lot, this is fairly light. I've also carried the single-serving tubes of hummus which I eat with crackers, a piece of jerky. Various bits and pieces of military MRE meals are also useful to fill out lunch menus as are canned/flat packed protein like tuna or spam etc. All of my lunches include flavored crackers of one sort or another so they supply the bulk of my lunch menu.

Alan
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

do you know the brand of the powdered hummus? I've never heard of it but it sounds like a nice change of pace.

My lunch is usually a clif bar and some soy jerkey, (i'm a vegetarian) with some nuts or gorp. Its usually a pretty sad affair, but I've gotten in the bear-safe habit of eating dinner at about 4PM then just having a snack when I make camp.
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

During our JMT trip this summer, my friend and I settled on a package of Top Ramen (without the seasoning) seasoned by a package of miso soup, to which we added a 3 serving package of tuna or salmon. We decided that salmon was a tastier choice than the tuna.

We needed the calories, as we averaged about 17 miles a day. Stopping to cook made a nice break during the day.

Mike
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Same, old, junk, my sorry lot. I may not bring jerky again, doesn't hit the spot anymore. For summer, cheese, jerky, trail mix. I bring a couple types of cheese and trail mix. Fall and winter, salami, cheese, trail mix. I need help too. I have another trip in over a week, and may bring some rice crackers and peanut butter for a couple days as a break from the cheese which this time of year will be hard. The fake jerky doesn't agree with me I think. Don't ask.:)
Piece of cake.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I always seem to find something I love for lunch, eat it on every trip for lunch, then by the end of the year hate it. A few things I've hated in the past ;) : hummus on bread or tortilla, solame and cheese with bread/crackers, cliff bars with jerky, any concoction made with ramen. What I love now: peanut butter and jelly on bread or tortillas (bread for shorter trips, tortillas for longer trips). I also don't eat as much for lunch while on trips, and end up snacking more during the morning and afternoon...one snack I've yet to tire of are Frito chips (I grind them up to save space and eat with a spoon).
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Peanutbutter and honey on a torilla. Simple, fast, and filling. But most importantly, I like it! This year I put the peanutbutter and honey into individual (daily) ziplocks. It worked a lot better than the refillable tube thing and it took up less space in the canister.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Re: Powdered Hummus

Post by snusmumriken »

Casbah Natural Foods is the brand of powdered hummus they carry in my grocery store. It tastes good just mixed with water or even better with a little olive oil added. I've also used powdered Baba Genush (sp?) which is made from eggplant.
For a cracker that isn't as crumbly or bulky as Wasa try Finn Crisp, really nice Finnish rye crackers.
If you have the time and inclination to make a longer lunch stop bring out the stove and make a simple soup from a mix. Then you can have both hot soup and a sandwich. Yum.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

add sundried tomatoes to the hummus. I put powdered hummus in freezer baggies, add water, add freeze dried sundried tomatoes (soak in water), mix in baggie, and eat with wheat thins. I think Casbah was the brand I used.

I don't backpack anymore, but for the first few days of a trip, it was salami, cheese and rolls (flatten to save space).
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;