Circumnavigate the Mono Divide

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Circumnavigate the Mono Divide

Post by cmon4day »

Tomorrow I'm heading out to do a 7-day BP trip. :partyman: We are going to circumnavigate the Mono Divide. Take the ferry across T-Edison up Mono Cr to the 2nd Divide. Up the 2nd to Mill Cr then up and over Gabbot Pass. Lay over either at Italy or Teddy Bear L. Spend a day fishing the Bear Lakes Basin, (Vee, Ursa, Bear Paw, etc). Down Hilgard Branch to Bear Cr. Down Bear Cr to just above the forebay then up and over Bear Ridge back to the car at Vermillion.

Cant wait. Last year I had to miss my annual backcountry trek so I am ready to go. Will post TR with pics when I get back. :thumbsup:
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Circumnavigate the Mono Divide

Post by cgundersen »

Hi cmon,
I'm guessing Maverick is on a trip right now, or he'd have replied to this, since upper Mills creek is one of his favorite areas. I've always been very curious about Mist Lake, which overlooks Mills Creek, so if you get up there, I'd love to see a photo!
Have a great time!
CG
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Mills Creek/Gabbot Pass is a great area, and with so many peaks just begging to be climbed!

I was in Bear Lakes Basin last week. If you see a blue and yellow tent in Vee Lake, it's mine (actually, I barely managed to rescue it from the lake before it began to hydroplane).
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Back from the Mono Divide

Post by cmon4day »

Got back a week ago and am still up there mentally. The trip was awesome. We caught the best weather window ever. I've never had such good weather. Only one night dipped into the 30's as there was a little ice in my water bottle in the am. Here is my Trip Report

Jim, from VVR gave us a lift across Lake Edison, which is at 35% capacity. Hiked up Mono Cr and veered off trail at the bridge and camped a mile or so up from there. The next day we hiked up Mono Cr to the 2nd Divide. Parts of that canyon are "Yosemite-esque" with its granite cliffs on each side. It was like a stroll in the park and the fall colors were starting to bloom as well.

The hike up the 2nd recess was also quite lovely. Things got a little rougher as we began to climb up into the Mill Cr. drainage. We ended up at the small lake below lower Mill Cr Lake. I have never seen such a rugged ridge as the one that separates the the 2nd & 3rd Recess, OMG!! The next day we ascended the Mill Cr. drainage and along the way we fished the Mill Cr. Lakes and they are just teeming with golden trout. In fact, the whole watershed is teeming with trout. We continued up the canyon and topped out at Gabbot Pass, elev 12,200'. The first glimpse of Bear Cr Spire and adjoining peaks was breathtaking. Down to Lake Italy and around to Brown Bear Lake.

At Brown Bear Lake is where we had a layover day. On our layover day we fished Teddy Bear, Bear Trap and Lake Italy. All of which has fish. After the layover we began our descent of Hilgard Branch towards Bear Cr. where we camped. Beautiful high mountain meadows were found along the way. The next day we then descended Bear Cr to the junction of the Bear Cr Cutoff Trail. Quite a drop and very interesting are the different zones you travel through in that 9 mile stretch. On the last day up and over Bear Ridge and back to the car.

If you would like to see some pictures, click here http://gallery.me.com/cmon4day#100058
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi cmon,
Fantastic! I've only done a quick run through the photos and could orient myself for most of them, but I may have questions later. Still, even a quick peek verified that you hit a great weather window. Thanks for the report!
CG
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Fantastic images! Looks like a great adventure!
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Buck Forester wrote:Fantastic images!
Thanks Buck, but you are too kind. I've seen your pictures, and in the words of our champion of the Sierras John Muir, they are sublime!!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for a great report and pictures from a beautiful area. Looks like you got into some nice fish as well. :cool:

Matt