Public opinion survey on ecological uses of fire

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Public opinion survey on ecological uses of fire

Post by dave54 »

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2008/f ... ccptnc.pdf

My observation, based on actual experience:

Wide support for 'backcountry fires' in concept, but support falls when a fire actually does start and locals and visitors are told it will probably burn and make smoke all summer, sections of the forest or park will be closed for public safety not only this summer but also for a few seasons afterwards, and despite best efforts at planning/predicting there is still a chance the fire the fire will expand rapidly threatening homes and property.

And if the fire does grow uncontrollably large the same pundits and armchair fire managers who praise the initial decisionmaker for 'a courageous and sound decision to let it burn' will be demanding his head on a platter after it escapes and burns a few homes.

I will never criticize any fire manager or line officer who makes the gut-check decision to put it out instead of letting it burn. They are the ones with their necks on the chopping block if things go sour.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Re: Public opinion survey on ecological uses of fire

Post by hikerduane »

"Not in my backyard" concept? Ok, somewhere else.
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

hikerduane wrote:"Not in my backyard" concept? Ok, somewhere else.

LOL!!! :lol:

Exactly.

The Sac Bee, Feather River Bulletin, Chester Progressive, and other local papers are perfect examples. As predictable as the changing seasons, all during the winter months the newspapers publish editorials and letters urging more natural fires to clean out the forest, and during the summer while the fires are burning they demand to know why the fires are not being put out as fast as possible. :\

Even the sierra club got into the act, in 2002. Some here may remember. A late season lightning caused fire was allowed to burn in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. "No worry, the Fall rains will start any day." Except that year the Fall rains did not come as expected. The fire continued to burn all through September, into October, with no rain in sight. The Forest Service stuck to the wildland fire use plan, monitoring the fire but letting it burn. Meanwhile local opposition began building. After the fire continued to spread, finally reaching a favorite area where the local sierra club chapter led many wilderness trips, they began to urge the Forest Service to put it out. Pressure finally reached the White House, where the President wisely refused to intervene. The issue finally went away with the much belated onset of the Fall rains. The entire episode achieved some immortality when it was written into a subplot on the TV show 'West Wing' (yeah, that particular episode was based on real event).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Have you heard or seen anything on how the local fires did on cleaning up ground cover, debris? I heard some about the fire on the Middle Fork that was supposedly going to threaten Spring Garden and Greenhorn Ranch areas, then it moved into an area where they let it burn because it was doing more good than harm.

I expanded the area I rake up of needles a couple weeks ago, getting closer to that 100' of defensible space. I had my wood racks on my old Chevy Luv and filled it up four times on Saturday afternoon, from my raking in the morning. Didn't know there was that much stuff I had left all these years. Part of my yard I have been raking up at least once a year since the fires from 9-10 years ago were so close. Glad I don't have any large pine trees in my yard, just some cedars, Doug Fir and some White Fir.
Piece of cake.