Where to start?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Where to start?

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I have a strong desire to do some peak bagging. In fact, the two trips I took this year I had planned to bag Alta peak from Pear lake (not really a peak bag I know) and Tuolumne Peak. The weather kept me from Atla, but my lack of experience kept me from Tuolumne. So, my question is, how do I develope these skills while staying safe?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where to start?

Post by copeg »

Surprised no one has responded. I'm not extremely experienced, but have a few summits under my belt. Some of my advice...keep to safer and easier routes (class 1-2), research the route (The High Sierra by Secor is a good reference book for research), and go with people with experience. Many of the peaks I've summitted didn't require climbing experience per se, but definitely a knowledge of route finding, an ability to scramble x-country, and acclimation/training.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I sent a PM.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

The WTC (wilderness training class?) trips that the Sierra Club's Sierra Peaks Section does would be a good way to go. You don't even have to be a Sierra Club member, unless they changed that recently -- you can find them in the big Sierra Club schedule or sign up for the SPS newsletter for a more complete listing.