Ritter Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Ritter Pass?

Post by cgundersen »

Has anyone done Ritter Pass recently (from Ediza to the Dike Creek side or vice versa) and if so are there any words of wisdom? Are the little lakes on the Dike side potentially good for camping?
Thanks!
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ritter Pass?

Post by maverick »

Hi CG

I doubt you'll get much feed back on those lakes most climbers will
be approaching from the east, Iron Lake which has
a trail to it rarely gets visited, and that basin is pretty barren unlike
the basin which is the northern fork of Iron Creek, but that basin only
has one small lake in it.
I used the Iron Creek route which was fun and pretty with some class 2 sections
on it.
I also doubt anyone has visited Shellenbarger Lake even though its a named lake.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Maverick,
Yes, I figured that Ritter pass gets meager use, but you never know, there may be someone out there who took the plunge recently.
Anyway, after lots of deliberation, my wife & I decided to head back to the basin of the Lyell fork of the Merced in a couple weeks (we had such a good time up there 2 years ago, and so much smoke & rain earlier this year that we're hoping for better karma). Ritter pass is an option for a way to come out (rather than climbing up to Catherine, as we did last time), and even if there's no feedback on the Ritter route, we'll probably give it a whirl. Regardless, the backside of the Kaweahs will wait till '09 though with Giantbrookie's report on Blue Canyon, we may try for that. Too many possibilities.........too little time.
CG
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Yes,the Sierra Geezers and I crossed Ritter Pass from E to W in 2000. It was my first wk-long trip after chemo and radiation for breast cancer. Now you KNOW I'm crazy. In fact, my last radiation treatment was 2 days before the trip which began at Granite Creek. My skin was peeling off like the skin off pudding, my head was bald, and I had the energy of a slug. THEN, in Dike Cr. Canyon, 2 days from the trailhead, my husband dislocated his shoulder. (After much screaming, passing out, convulsing, and Vicodin, I put it back in.) Yes, a memorable trip. And yes, I'd do it again even under those circumstances. I finally felt like I'd come thru the other side. I was back in my mountains with my friends.

The top of the pass on the W side is loose and we went over and down one at a time to avoid headers from falling rock. From the top of the pass (as big as a doorway) I'd been watching my friends frolicking in the waters of the lake below, but by the time it was my turn, Zeus was tossing bolts and thunder was rolling. I slid down on my butt as fast as I could ripping my shorts. Stay toward the wall on the right as you descend. It's easier.

The second lake from the pass is nicely campable and it's a delightful walk down to Hemlock Crossing if you keep your shoulders in their sockets.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Sierra M.,
Well, that gives me a lot of confidence in a lot of ways.............anyway, if you did it a few days out from chemo and your husband was carrying a bum shoulder, it cannot be too bad for those of us heading in without any major impediments (though, we can always collect a few en route). I hope that we have a bit more time at the ridge to snap photos than you had. Thanks for the heads up!
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Sierra M
Your short TR was very impressive, and no your not crazy!
I feel what your saying about needed to get out and do the things you love
which has its healing effects on ones body and soul.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Must be something about that area and dislocated shoulders. I dislocated mine just east of Ritter last summer. Had to put it back in myself, and I didn't have the foresight to carry Vicodin!