does anyone worry about ur hands getting damaged?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
HighSierraHights
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

does anyone worry about ur hands getting damaged?

Post by HighSierraHights »

does anyone worry about your hands getting damaged when your in the sun? I heard your hands can show your age even if you take care of you face...so i started using the Norwegian Formula Age Shield with Helioplex Technology which is shown to reduce aging in 4 weeks...

...what do you think?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: does anyone worry about ur hands getting damaged?

Post by The Other Tom »

I worry about my hands getting sun burned or sun damaged. I use sunscreen on my hands as well as my arm/face/neck, etc. I have seen some people wearing thin "nylon" gloves in the backcountry, with the fingers cut out for minimal exposure.
DJG
Founding Member

Post by DJG »

Those cycling gloves don't weigh much and offer lots of protection from the sun, and wearing them makes for less skin available for the skeeters too. We always put the sun screen on the backs of the hands at a minimum. I think I used up all my exposure credits as a kid during those long lazy days at the beach, now I cover up more. Also, as an angler, in the mountains or out on the ocean, same thing, the backs of the hands get lots of exposure. So, no, I don't worry about it, I just apply the high spf sun screen, with or without gloves, to all parts exposed and wear the long sleeves and pants more often.
HighSierraHights
Topix Novice

Post by HighSierraHights »

Thats why the Norwegian Formula Age Shield is great because it has Helioplex Technology and SPF 30...even that little exposure or your fingers isn't good for your skin...
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Hmmm. Sounds suspiciously like a product-placement advert... . Still, I've run into a handful (heh, heh, heh) of people with blisters on their fingers and hands caused, apparently, from sun exposure. Usually using either hiking poles or holding their hands on their pack straps with their fingers and tops of their hands stretched (??) and exposed to the sun and high altitude. Getting them to cover their hands with bandanas or light gloves seems to solve the problem. A magic sunscreen like this stuff might work as well.

g.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Many people (my spouse, for example) get a mild kind of sun allergy that often manifests as a rash on the backs of the hands (we're sailors, and your hands get a *lot* of sun exposure when sailing because of holding onto lines, hands on the tiller, etc.). We always just use light-weight gloves.