River trail-Mammoth area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pacwildiver
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

River trail-Mammoth area

Post by pacwildiver »

I am planning a trip in mid-September for 7 days and would like to get to 1,000 Island Lake and Lake Ediza in the same week. Anybody have any suggestions as to the best route to do this? This will be my second solo backpacking trip and I am looking forward to some peace and solitude. I am hoping that this will be a good time of year to do this trip. Any and all suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: River trail-Mammoth area

Post by hikerduane »

Which trailhead are you leaving from, Agnew Meadow or Devils Postpile? Each route has their merits, River Trail starts low and slowly goes up, the High Trail has a climb but offers views for hours. When camping at Thousand Island, you will have to walk another half mile or more past the outlet creek for camping spots on the north side, or continue to the next small lake or two. You can easily do both lakes and then some in seven days. I go in mid Oct. and see a hand full of folks then and in a larger area. You may see more in Sept. as this is a popular area. Enjoy your trip.
Piece of cake.
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted

Post by Telkwa »

My wife and I walked above Garnet towards Nydiver, then dropped down to Ediza. That's one way to avoid the crowds.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Crowds certainly fall off in the High Sierra after Labor Day weekend, so I doubt you'll run into any people, but you won't be absolutely alone up there. My own preference, if I was going up on a trail, would be the High Trail, because the views are so mind-blowing. Given that I like off trail stuff so much, I'd almost certainly opt for some variant of what Telkwa, recommends. Off trail hiking is the only way to guarantee near total solitude. Now Ediza L. plus Thousand Island L. doesn't directly lend itself to the High Trail (which would take you directly to Thousand Island L), but you can do this thing as a loop that allows one part of the loop to do the High Trail to do the views and another part where you connect between Ediza and Thousand Island. The main destinations of your trip are popular, but you have two things working in your favor: (1) the time of year which will thin the crowds by quite a bit and (2) 1000 Island Lake and Garnet Lake are huge, so you can find a place along their endless shoreline where you can have some solitude. Ediza is not as large, but you'll at least have advantage no. 1.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi would recommend the following route Agnew - High Trail - 1000 Is Lake - Garnet Lake
(via Garnet Pass) - Nydiver Lakes (via Whitebark Pass) - Ediza Lake - Shadow Lake - Agnew
(via River Trail).
At 1000 Is Lake camp under North Glacier Pass which will give you an outstanding view
at sunrise.
Garnet Pass is a class 1 and Whitebark is class 2.
Whitebarks northern side is the difficult part with steep scree and talus, but the southern
side is easy.
pacwildiver
Topix Newbie

Post by pacwildiver »

I would like to thank all of you for helping me by answering my post. I am leaving on the 13th of September and can hardly wait. I plan on bringing 3 good paperbacks, a camera, and the essentials and look forward to talking only to myself - LOL. I work at Costco so I am truly needing the downtime and the relaxation of the Sierras. Thanks again.
Bearman
Topix Novice

Post by Bearman »

I just completed the trip as described by Maverick except we went in and out on the River trail.

Two recommendations:

1. For good Mexican food in Mammoth, try Robertos.

2. Get a campsite at Agnews Meadow the night before you start and park at the trail head instead of taking the shuttle bus from Mammoth.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Got some pic's for us Bearman? Flowers still around on the south-eastern end of 1000 Is Lake?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Bearman wrote:I just completed the trip as described by Maverick except we went in and out on the River trail.

Two recommendations:

1. For good Mexican food in Mammoth, try Robertos.

2. Get a campsite at Agnews Meadow the night before you start and park at the trail head instead of taking the shuttle bus from Mammoth.
How do you get a campsite at Agnew Meadows ? First come, first served ? Permit required ?
When I tried to drive down to Agnew, I was told only busses could go down :dontknow
Alpenbro
Topix Novice

Post by Alpenbro »

I think you have to get there before 7:30am or 7:30pm. AFAIK it's first-come, first-served. The shuttle bus is kind of a harsh reintroduction to civilization so if you can get a site it's a bonus.

If you stay at Ediza, take an hour or two to hike up to Iceberg lake. This view I encountered on the way.. very nice!