Passed out in the High Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Passed out in the High Sierra

Post by giantbrookie »

A nice epic indeed. That area is simply enthralling. Of the uncountable trips I've done, the 1993 trip I did with my wife to the Dumbbells (via Knapsack, Barrett Creek, Amphitheater, and Cataract Pass) remains my all time favorite trip. Interesting note about the UNC groups. I ran into one in 2003 on the High Sierra trail. They made me feel like a California wimp. We were on day 7 of 7 consecutive days of all day thunderstorms (not afternoon/evening only) and we were griping about it all trip long (had forced us to cancel about 3 peak climbs). We ran into this UNC group and they were so incredibly cheery, even though they had endured constant rain for something like 3 consecutive weeks.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Quite the lengthy maverick-like ramble Duane! Didn't know we old guys were allowed permits to undertake such adventures. ;) And you dropped down out of the high country into such a deep hole down there about the middle fork. Painful price to pay climbing out. I share your aversion for camping in the treeless alpine zones that tend to be popular with usual High Sierra peak baggers. Probably felt that way ever since visiting sterile Ionian Basin in 1980, disliking the treeless, nearly wildflower less, expanses of rock, snow, water, and turf. Give me at least a few stunted whitebark or foxtail pines, their tree spirits, and I'm happy. I may be going over Bishop Pass late August with a friend. But we would just be base camping there in an obscure scenic spot below the famous peaks 4 nights.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

For SSSDave
Wow, Aug. 1980 was my first ever visit to Ionian basin, but unlike you, I guess I was really taken with the austere, primitive beauty of the place...........and that feeling was reprised on my latest trip (and, this is nothing against stunted pines, it's just the mix of landscapes one encounters that makes the Sierras particularly attractive and for me that includes the occasional lunarscape). However, the one thing I wanted to mention is that the very best wildflower display I've seen in the Sierras was on that immense expanse of hillside encircling lake 10,212 at the western edge of Ionian basin. Because of the late snowpack that year (1980), the myriad waterfalls into 10,212 were still incredible in August, and the flowers were beyond incredible. I'd guess that someone with your camera skills would have a field day in a setting like that (in the right year). Long way to schlep with gear, but potentially an amazing payoff.
CG
dharter
Topix Acquainted

Post by dharter »

hikerduane,
I just read on another forum about a 1-mile long rockslide somewhere in Bishop Pass - did you encounter it and did it significantly slow your progress?

SSSDave,
I am heading in over Bishop Pass on the 28th of August - maybe the 27th, if I get into Bishop in time and I can get my permit changed. I've arranged to pay a local packer to give me a ride out to the South Lake trailhead. If your headed out that way either of those dates, I would be happy to pay for your gas instead.

Doug
Doug
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

dharter, my next to last night which was at Ruwah Lake, during the night for quite a few hours, I heard boulders and/or rocks hitting, rolling half the night if seems. I mentioned it to a couple small groups headed to the pass the next morning, never heard any results since being home. On my return over Bishop Pass before hitting Ruwah, I noticed a boulder 2/3 the size of a VW in the trail. Not sure if it was there the previous week when I entered on my first day.
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Duane...That sounds like quite an adventure you took! Good for you..Is the vision thing maybe vertigo related? I am so sorry that happened to you, especialy out there...I do hope you check into that.

Yeah those high barren treeless lakes are quite different then lakes that have some greenery and trees around them. I do find the starkness they have beautiful ...I like the contrast of just the Sierra granite with the blue sky and color of the water..But I too prefer to be camped at lakes that have trees, greenery and flowers around them.

Thanks for sharing here..very enjoyable reading!
But where are your pictures :)
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Dave, I was thinking of you the morning I hiked up to Dusy Basin again, seeing the one giant juniper along the trail. I don't write well, so I thought I was keeping my report as short as I could and still give some info, if anyone wanted to take me seriously that I actually went on a trip since I never post photos.

mit, I took some photos, I don't use Webshots anymore and I don't have a new photo hosting site yet. Coming to Carson City soon shopping?

I haven't had any vertigo for over a month now, last time was in Lassen in camp on a car camp trip with Maria, after I had bagged Lassen Peak. She brought steak, I brought the grill, firewood and then I had to lay down in the afternoon until the next morning, at which time I got sick to my stomach again so I went home. Finally able to keep something down later that night. Longest ever staying sick like that. That was more than likely what upset me mentally the day I was around the Ranger Station below Dusy Basin. Thank you for your concern.
Piece of cake.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

hikerduane, sounds like a fun trip. I've been through the LeConte Canyon area a number of times but never climbed up to Dusy Basin. In regards to your auras, if you have found yourself to be prone to "normal" migraine headaches, they may possibly be related to what are known as "ocular migraines". I suspect that this is what I get since I have always been unfortunately migraine-prone and it seems to fit my symptoms and conditions of the time. Apparently age is a factor :( , decreasing air pressure, exertion, dehydration etc. and what-have-you.

I have always been prone to altitude sickness and usually get a headache that I have to sleep off. As I have aged, I notice that at altitude at times (usually early on a trip), light colored objects start getting brighter and brighter while hiking until I seem to get something like a "visual white-out" or brightness overload that fades out as I rest. This is most noticable if you don't wear sunglasses. As I acclimate, this effect goes away. This is not a diagnosis nor have I been diagnosed but is simply a possibility. YMMV :)
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you Cloudy for your experience. The last eight years or so, I have started having vertigo on occasion, spotty vision or auras as the optometrist called them have been going on rarely until the last year and a half after I helped a neighbor take some trees down on another neighbors property, where we had to look up quite a bit. Seems to coincide with the start of computer use at work over eight years ago. I had never gotten vertigo at work, then this last Feb., they had to drive me home. First lost day of work in over two years. The previous lost day of work had been for the same reason, but at least I was at home.

A couple years ago, while snow camping by myself, I had to lay down for 20-30 minutes as I was getting dizzy. Temps were in the 20's. A year and a half ago, while at Bodega Bay with a couple ladies, I had to lay down for 20 minutes or so and was somewhat ok after that. In Lassen over a month ago, I had my longest episode of not being able to hold anything down, some vertigo, so that bugged me pretty good as it ruined the whole weekend that had been planned for six months. LIfe goes on.
Piece of cake.
HighSierraHights
Topix Novice

Post by HighSierraHights »

thats a cool trip...i've never been to any mountains but i have passed through Grand Canyon and i just love all the scenery...you know what i just realized LOL i actually have been through A LOT of mountains because my family and i drove to Colorado a few years ago and the most beautiful scenery i have ever seen we passed through so many green mountains...and on our way to Lake Tahoe as well ;) ...i took pix of the Colorado trip but i have to find them they were on a regular camera so if i do fnd them i have to scan them in the comp...