Picking a womans first boots

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Picking a womans first boots

Post by ridgeline »

I am going to help my niece pick her first boots and I wanted to get some input prior to lacing up.
A bit of info, Tara is 23, has played soccer for years, has a size 9 with a low to very little arch, narrow at the heel and medium to wide at the ball of the foot/toes.
I am guessing a good foot insert for the arch will be a must, we are looking for a boot to handle long day hikes and overnighters.
I know some of the stores have good sales help but wanted any input I could get to begin the search, since this is such a critical item, especially on ones first hike.
I have worn the same make of boot for 20+ yrs now and a womens view would be of help here.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Re: Picking a womans first boots

Post by calipidder »

Her feet sound similar to mine: low arch, narrow heel, wide at the ball of the foot. I found that Garmont brand hikers fit this foot shape pretty well, especially with my custom orthotics. Just be careful about the wider forefoot and get a brand that won't pinch the front of the foot (likewise, don't pick a wide width that will allow the heel to slip either).

My successes have been with Garmonts primarily, but I also like men's La Sportiva (women's are too narrow, but the mens are a nice combo of the width and heel), and Keen. The garmonts run a bit small and I buy them a half size up. I actually buy them in 'bulk' when I find them on sale online - buying as many pairs as I can in my size. I keep a stockpile of boxes in my gear closet. :)
ridgeline
Founding Member

Re: Picking a womans first boots

Post by ridgeline »

I was worried about the narrow heel and wide up front situation. At least I have somewhere to start.
Thanks