Fires in Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Fires in Yosemite

Post by don norton »

I am taking a ten day hike in Yosemite I am starting at Happy Isles going to Tuolumne Meadows by way of Cloud Rest and from Toulumne down Lyel Canyon to Ireland lake and to Lewis Creek Trail to Merced campground and then on down to LIttle Yosemite Valley Campground. Is that in any way effected by the fires? Thanks
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fires in Yosemite

Post by markskor »

Don,
Just did the reverse trip of what you are planning two weeks ago. The only difference is that I did Tuolumne to Ireland to Voglesand, Lewis Creek Drainage, up to Harriet Lakes, down to Merced lake and out LYV.
Regarding the fires/smoke situation - It all depended on the wind. On a few days the skies were grey and the sun shown red: on the next day the winds shifted and the skies were the usual expected Sierra blue.
I must say though, I am still experiencing some residual coughing from the trip. I do not know if it is because of the smoke, as this never has happened to me before.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

Thanks Mark You guys are the best source of information for the Sierras. I knew if I posted I would get an answer soon Thanks
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Don,
You didn't mention your timeframe, but there is a new fire at the western edge of the Yosemite Park boundary that may concern you :( ; check out http://www.fire.ca.gov/index_incidents.php for the latest info. This one has exploded into major burned acreage, and if nothing else, smoke may be a factor in your plans.
Best of luck; I envy you for this trip! :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

i just spent saturday fishing the merced around el portal. headed from fresno early in the morning, we first saw the smoke as we traveled from bootjack towards mariposa where it got worse. midpines was bad too as well as the merced canyon. mid-day, we ventured into yosemite valley. late afternoon in the valley was colored by the sun shining through the smoke to the west of us. we could smell the smoke in the valley but it didn't affect our breathing noticeably.

evening fishing back around el portal was worse. ash was falling like snow and the surrounding hills to the west were shrouded by the thick smoke. it almost looked like a fog shrouded coast. that was the first big day of the fire. no idea what it's like along your route.

eric
fresno, ca.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Hi Don, I put this in the email I sent to you, but thought I'd also post here as well. Check out the webcams and air quality in Yosemite...
http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/index.htm
Currently, the NPS is listing the Yosemite Visitors Center air quality as 'unhealthy'
http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/p ... osecam.cfm
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

an update from our local (fresno) paper:

http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/photo/ ... 57032.html

eric
fresno, ca.