100 miles of the PCT closed

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

100 miles of the PCT closed

Post by hikerduane »

In my neck of the woods, the fires have forced the closure of 100 miles of the PCT according to the local paper, online version. http://www.plumasnews.com/news_story.edi?sid=6522

Feel sorry for thru hikers coming thru. This covers the area by Nelson Creek/Feather River to just about the Lassen Volcanic NP boundary by Chester.
Piece of cake.
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: 100 miles of the PCT closed

Post by mountaineer »

Just drove across through lassen on Tuesday. Could not see the mountain from 89/44. Terrible visibility all the way to Susanville. Hordes of butterflies...should have seen my van, looked like it was coated with splattered pedestrian blood! :p
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 100 miles of the PCT closed

Post by SSSdave »

The MODIS fire and smoke images of Northern California have consistently shown all those fires in the northern Coast Range west of the Sacramento Valley to be burning strongly, putting up huge smoke plumes each day. Same thing with today's image. Towns like Red Bluff and Redding must be sick of it. All that is blowing east across the northern Sierra that itself has a number of smaller fires still adding to the overall smoke. I may be wrong but I'm guessing because much of that is unpopulated so there has been little effort to put the fires out. If anyone is interested, what is being done on any of those fires and their history is online.