Twenty Lakes Basin Permits

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Twenty Lakes Basin Permits

Post by mountaineer »

I heard that there is not a quota but that you still needed permits. Is this true? Does the Saddlebag resort issue them for the FS?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Twenty Lakes Basin Permits

Post by markskor »

Yes, no quotas but you do "officially" need a wilderness permit. There is a small kiosk up there - in the Saddlebag parking lot. but it is only open on weekends...if at all. I suggest you get one in Mammoth or Yosemite, or whichever permit office is the closest.
However, I was up there last year intending to camp far side my last night there instead of the backpacker camp in Tuolumne and fish the evening rise, late afternoon/ evening. I was intending to bag a permit there, ( It was mid-week - kiosk was closed...did not know it was not open.
I asked at the burger shop where I should go and was informed that I could either go back to Tuolumne, or I could just grab the last water taxi (in 10 minutes) and camp, as there were no rangers patrolling over there...so I did. I did not see anybody official at the far side. I did have a valid permit (it was the last day) for the Tuolumne area however, and I was not too worried.
Mountainman who swims with trout
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Last year when I was up there I picked up a permit in the Tuolumne Ranger Station...I was surprised to find there to be no quote. Not sure if it is self-issue after hours. If you're coming from the west and the Tuolumne office is open, I'd try to get a permit there and not have to rely on the Kiosk at Saddlebag.
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaineer »

I might be coming in really late on Sunday night for an early Monday start. If that is the case, I'll risk no permit. If I come across early enough, the NPS station in Tuolomne will give me one for NFS land?