Question about Horstail Falls...

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Question about Horstail Falls...

Post by Hikin Mike »

I know at the end of February you can photograph Horsetail Falls around sunset to make it appear as if they were on fire. Where is the location and more importantly, is it wheelchair accessable?

I'd like to try and photograph this area this year, but if I can't physically get in there, I'll have to wait until next year.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Mike

Is the Horsetail Falls you are asking about, the one on highway 50 almost to Tahoe..above Twin Bridges? that is the only Horsetail Falls I know of.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

http://www.edhughesphoto.com/gallery/410414
Mike ask Ed...he photographed it last year.
yosemitechris
Founding Member

Post by yosemitechris »

Horsetail Falls is in Yosemite, just east (I think) of El Capitan. It usually runs in the early spring.

"Horsetail Falls, aka El Capitan Falls, drops 1500 ft. off incredible El Capitan. It is best viewed from a picnic area along Northside Drive. Look way up to the top of the big rock to see the waterfall. You’ll need at least a 200m zoom lens to get a decent photo. Horsetail Falls also has low drainage and disappears by May or June.

The best time of year to see Horsetail Falls is near the end of February. If you are here on a clear night in February, be sure to visit this waterfall at sunset. The sun strikes the rock in such a way that it appears Horsetail Falls is on fire. This would be an incredible sight to see."

Chris
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Ooops..stupid me :retard: ...I did not know about another Horsetail falls that is in Yosemite.
What a beautiful picture of it..and it really does look like a horses tail
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Yeah, the Twin Bridges Horsetail Falls is the one I was thinking of. Going up there in February would be an "interesting" trip.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

My son, our neighbor, and I day- hiked Horsetail Falls last summer, following the stream right up to the top. Awesome, and damn dangerous in spots, and I would never attempt that route with a backpack; hell, I wouldn't want to do the "trail" with a backpack at my age, but folks do, and the rewards at the top probably would justify it. But the Falls make inspiring pictures. There's no "trail" to the top, but a route marked by arrows painted here and there on rocks leads up through the talus on the west side. I've never been on the opposite side of the stream, so don't know routes, although I have seen hikers on that side and have heard it is a brutal climb. The designated trail "ends" less than 1/2 mile from the parking lot at Twin Bridges. In winter, I'd be very wary of possible avalanche conditions. The Falls drops down successive rock faces/slopes to create several impressive, huge cascades. Many, maybe all, of them can be seen from Hwy 50 as you pass Twin Bridges and proceed upgrade and east, toward Echo Summit, and looking back. With a telephoto lens, here is where I think you might catch a good frame or two, if you can find a safe place to pull off to the highway shoulder. I've thought about trying to get a photo that way, but haven't done it yet.
Don't know if the light is right in late winter for what you want, maybe others have better information that I. But it would be interesting to see what you can come up with. Good luck!
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

It appears some folks are getting Horsetail Fall in Desolation Wilderness mixed up with the very seasonal Horsetail Fall that flows off El Cap in Yosemite. But Timberline, yes, going up Horsetail Fall in Desolation is quite a wonderful hike! I've done it numerous times, even with my dogs, and there's some pretty exciting sections. I have even used this route as access to climb Pyramid Peak.

Hikin Mike, I have never been down there myself at the end of February to try and capture this phenomenon, but I'd sure like to try. I heard last year was wonderful, the best in a long time. I guess you need the right amount of snow, the right temperature for the snow to melt, and no blocking of the sunset on the horizon to all line up perfectly for a short period of time to make it work. I'm not sure of where they set up the cameras. I'll do some research and let you know what I find. It's comin' up pretty soon.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Thanks for your help everybody. I'll probably try and go up anyway. Even if I can't get the shot, it will ba nice visit.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

There's also a Horsetail Falls off of McGee Creek, south of Convict Lake. That's the one that came to mind when I saw this thread.

Hope you get to go, Mike!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;