Fires/Smoke Effects on Backpacking Trips

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fires/Smoke Effects on Backpacking Trips

Post by TehipiteTom »

Went up to Mokelumne Wilderness (Grouse Lake, Snow Canyon) and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Generally much clearer in the morning, getting smokier over the course of the day. One spectacular sunset, but no good light from it. I shot mostly wildflowers and localized landscapes, but even managed to get a few reasonably decent distance shots.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Just got back from the Warners.

Weather was perfect. Warm and sunny, not hot. Not a trace of smoke in the air. Didn't see another soul on the East Creek Trail.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Alpenbro
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Alpenbro »

does anyone have info on the Tuolumne area? I'm heading out later this week hoping the air is okay and there will still be some views from Conness or North Peak.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Alpenbro wrote:does anyone have info on the Tuolumne area? I'm heading out later this week hoping the air is okay and there will still be some views from Conness or North Peak.
Late last week the skies were real smoky in TM and the west side of the park. It has been clouding up during the last few days and the skies have been a little bluer. I am heading into the valley today and then back up to TM tomorrow so will know more then but it looks like it is still hazy.
bgreen14
Topix Newbie

Post by bgreen14 »

I spent the last few days in Ansel Adams Wilderness and TM --- one day had significant haze/smoke, but the rest of the time it was very clear. Vista points were a little muddled due to the fires, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. A lot depends on which way the wind is blowing. It certainly is a great improvement on what you'll experience in the Sacramento Valley!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Smoky in the Lone Pine area. This is the first weekend I could barely see the mountains. Cough was pretty bad this weekend. My throat was sore last night (better today), and I start coughing if I take a deep breath, laugh or say more than one sentence. Been sucking on Riccola drops, which seems to help.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
croupier
Topix Novice

Post by croupier »

Does anyone have an update for thousand island lake area? I plan on going to that area this weekend.
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

I am just back from a bit south of there, coming out of a trip down Fish Creek at Reds Meadow. It was getting pretty clear by yesterday (7/14), but distant views to the west were rather yucky. It's good enough to go IMO if photography is not the main objective.

Mike
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Pear Lake area was pretty hazy going in on Saturday. The Rain Sunday afternoon (5 hours worth) seemed to have cleared it up some.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Going up Pine creek pass was fairly smoky on the 11th, coming back on the 15th was mostly clear. High-country/french canyon was not seriously effected during the time I was there.