Grilling season

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
OvertheTop
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Grilling season

Post by OvertheTop »

What do you normally throw up on the grill
Strider
Topix Regular

Re: Grilling season

Post by Strider »

:D Olde English 800
'Hike long and perspire'
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Strider wrote::D Olde English 800
:lol:

For me it's usually whatever peaks my interest at Costco. Tri-tip, ribs, and tenderloin, are pretty much the staples. But I BBQ various fruits and veggies, as well as roasts on occasion too.

BTW, for those who don't know, Costco almost always carries higher grade cuts than you can get at most large chain supermarkets. I highly recommend educating yourself about the grading standards and what to look for if you don't know much about it.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Chicken, salmon, pork roast, steaks, whatever.

Veggies and fruits, too.

A local mom & pop grocer started carrying local beef. So I can support the local ranchers who practice good range management and land stewardship.

Of course, this also means I may have previously met my dinner along a local trail... :lol:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
OvertheTop
Topix Novice

Post by OvertheTop »

ERIC wrote:
Strider wrote::D Olde English 800
:lol:

For me it's usually whatever peaks my interest at Costco. Tri-tip, ribs, and tenderloin, are pretty much the staples. But I BBQ various fruits and veggies, as well as roasts on occasion too.

BTW, for those who don't know, Costco almost always carries higher grade cuts than you can get at most large chain supermarkets. I highly recommend educating yourself about the grading standards and what to look for if you don't know much about it.

Thats good to know i didnt know about that i havent had ribs in sooooooo long i should make those instead of what i was this weekend was going to make these Image
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Anything that my wife grills. :D I'm hungry now....
JMat
Topix Regular

Post by JMat »

For myself it has to be a good rib-eye, tri-tip or some baby back ribs. My wife on the other hand is a big fan of chicken and kokanee this time of year. Hence the reason I can't go hiking every weekend cuz somebody has to take the little boat out and catch some kokanee. :D

JMat
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

JMat wrote:For myself it has to be a good rib-eye, tri-tip or some baby back ribs. My wife on the other hand is a big fan of chicken and kokanee this time of year. Hence the reason I can't go hiking every weekend cuz somebody has to take the little boat out and catch some kokanee. :D

JMat
My wife is a big Kokanee fan as well. However, the fact that she's a Canadian from BC and a beer fan changes what first comes to mind when the word 'Kokanee' is used in the context of grilling!

One of my favorite beers, too, by the way... Hard to find in California, but if you live up in Oregon or Washington you can usually find it at Safeway.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

For me anytime of the year is grilling season. Tri tip is probably the thing I put most often on the grill. My standard is to marinate it in beer (plus salt, pepper, garlic) for a few hours. Pork butt roast is another, also with the beer marinade (salt, pepper, rosemary, sometimes with sage). Ribs and links are certainly part of the game. This is where my own BBQ sauce comes in--I bring a bit of Oakland wherever I go.

In the summer I add one additional grilling pleasure in the high country, if I'm in a campfire-legal area. Grilled trout. Absolutely my favorite way of doing trout.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I think it is interesting that tri-tip is now one of the favorite cuts for grilling. When I was a wee lad growing up in the 60's tri-tip was trash meat. No one wanted it. The local butchers cut it up and sold it as dog scraps. Now it is the profit maker from the steer.

Public tastes change over time...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=