Sabrina Basin Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
calvin23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sabrina Basin Backpacking

Post by calvin23 »

I'm leading a group of 12 to Backpack up to Midnight Lake next weekend. Is this the best place to camp or would Hungry Packer or another lake in the area be better??

Thanks
Alpenbro
Topix Novice

Re: Sabrina Basin Backpacking

Post by Alpenbro »

campsites are pretty sparse around Midnight lake.. there is a small exposed area on the Northwest shore I camped at 2 years ago that could work (if nobody's already there). Otherwise I think you can look below the lake? Supposedly lots of spots on the way up to Midnight but I missed them. Hungry Packer to Moonlight to Echo is a spectacular day hike.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Sabrina Basin is awesome, but campsites can be a tight fit for a large group if the prime spots are taken. My last trip up I was planning on Hungry Packer Lake, but after checking things out I decided to camp near Moonlight Lake for better access and views.
There are some really great campsites at Hungry Packer, but I felt a little restricted in that upper canyon. The prime camping spot is at Sailor Lake, between Hungry Packer and Moonlight Lake, awesome views and access, but it sometime has a tent city going on.
Moonlight lake is really nice and may have the least crowds, but you may have spread your
group out for smaller campsites. If you do take the Hungry Packer trail, most of your
options are pretty close together at the trail split between HPL and Moonlight Lake.

Trip Photos:
http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=631604

http://dmphotography.smugmug.com/
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

In terms of lots of elbow room to camp I think the best options are actually from Moonlight Lake (quite a bit of room to camp and not feel crowded) and downstream. I've had a base near Topsy Turvy Lake before (on the eastern side of a lake known as Pee Wee Lake) which was certainly off the beaten path and spots like that are not that hard to come by if one looks at the topo map in advance, then does the ground truthing on arrival. From the lower base all of the higher destinations in the basin (lakes such asEcho, Blue Heaven, Hungry Packer, Moonlight; and the peaks should one want to climb) are still within easy dayhike range.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
calvin23
Topix Acquainted

Post by calvin23 »

Thanks for the excellent info everyone. Great photos Doug!!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I'll second with what's already been said. Its been a while since I've visited, but I recall the camping slim in many areas (Hungry Packer where we stayed seemed to have very few spaces). Moonlight seemed to be the best choice for a large group.
calvin23
Topix Acquainted

Post by calvin23 »

We camped near Moonlight Lake which was not crowded at all except for the mosquitos. Fishing was good but mostly small brown trout.
Pics at link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/l23product ... 323509728/
copeg
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

calvin23 wrote:We camped near Moonlight Lake which was not crowded at all except for the mosquitos. Fishing was good but mostly small brown trout.
Pics at link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/l23product ... 323509728/
Looks like a great time. Beautiful pictures
calvin23
Topix Acquainted

Post by calvin23 »

Thanks Greg