Buying jerky

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Buying jerky

Post by hikerduane »

Anyone have any experience buying jerky, especially from a local shop in Bishop? I know there is a store or two down there that sells jerky. My vacation starts in less than two weeks and I haven't got my act totally together, as I have a local source for jerky but not sure if I can pull it off in time to get a bag of pieces at wholesale. Anyone know what the price might be? I saw one online store had a lb. for $30, I don't need that much, would be nice to buy just enough for 8-9 days. I could buy some locally by the piece, but by now they are around .99 a piece, not sure, I haven't bought any for a year or more. Worth buying in Bishop? I will be heading down there on a Thursday morning, so would have time to shop around before heading up the hill for the night, and headout early Friday AM on my trip.

Plus, I''m not sure I can get nine days of food into my Garcia Machine canister, a rental available down there for a Bearicade? I have gotten eight days in my Garcia, maybe with the first day of food out, I can make it? Just a little thinking ahead here.
Piece of cake.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Buying jerky

Post by gary c. »

There is a place at the north end of town in Bishop that sells great jerky. I can't remember the name of the place, we always just call it the smoke house, I'm sure someone will tell us. It's at the north end of town on the east side of 395. It's a little pricey but good, I thnik that when were there in April they had raised there prices to $38lb :eek: The good thing is that they will sell it by the 1/4 lb with an equal reduction in price. I stop there every one in a while as a treat but otherwise I buy my jerky from WalMart. They have a brand called World Kitchens that they sell for $9lb that's not half bad and a whole lot cheaper.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you, that is about where I remember seeing the store. I am more willing to spend a few dollars for flies then a bunch on jerky. I could sub some soy nuts for protein, but they are a little gassy.:)
Piece of cake.
Knute
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Knute »

For future reference, there is a local (to Me) butcher shop that sells jerky for about $12.00 a pound and ships anywhere in the US. They don't have a website, but here's the number: 724-735-2551.

It's called Henry's Meat Market. Ask for Dave, he's a real good guy.