Any recent bear activity in Desolation?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Any recent bear activity in Desolation?

Post by 4449 »

I'm looking forward for a quick one or two nighter sometime next week in the Gilmore Lake area and was wondering if anyone has a bear report.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Any recent bear activity in Desolation?

Post by hikerduane »

Give the FS a call, they should have up to date info, or ask when you get your mandatory permit. I think the Tahoe Basin is trying to cut off any problems with bears before they happen. In all the years I have visited Desolation, whether for a weekend or a week long trip, I have never seen a bear or sign in the wilderness. Late Pooch and I have come across a couple bears outside Desolation, between Loon Lake and Desolation though. We should all applaud the authorities for acting now. If you don't have a canister, you may be able to borrow one when getting your permit. The Bear League or such provide them to the FS to hand out to bpers to use, but I think they aren't mandatory to use yet, they would just like you to use them.
Piece of cake.