Map stuff, Large to small

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Map stuff, Large to small

Post by frediver »

This might be a simple question, i just don't know.

I would like to open a 7.5min. (?) map on my desktop, or laptop.
I would then like to print this 7.5 map on 8x11 paper then use a mag. lense to read the image.
I'm tired of having to take a large map or several small ones to cover my route.
What am I doing wrong, how do I get this Mini map to print?
Thanks
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Map stuff, Large to small

Post by copeg »

frediver, what is the exact problem you are having? I've done this quite a few times. I have some fancy photo editing software (aka photoshop) to do some image resizing before I print - just so it doesn't get crunched in a particular dimension - but this shouldn't be essential to print. What I do...download the map (either tiff or PDF) -> Open in photo editing -> crop to 8.5x11 dimensions -> print.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Map stuff, Large to small

Post by dave54 »

Reducing a full 1:24000 scale 7.5 minute quad to 8.5 X 11 makes the scale real close to 1:63360, or 1" = 1 mile. Handy for estimating distances.

Print the reduced map at your best print quality setting, and print on quality photo paper. The fine details can be fuzzy and hard to read on regular printer paper.

I already have all the quads for Plumas and Lassen NF's on 8.5 x 11 pdf. Burned on a CD. I can e-mail any of them if you want.

I also have the forest visitor maps and some wilderness quads in soft copy also. Some of these files are too big to email, but ftp'ing is possible.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=