What do you use for cataloging and storing your images?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

What do you use for cataloging and storing your images?

Post by SteveB »

So, what do you guys use to catalog and store your images? I noticed that Adobe just went into public beta with a new program specifically aimed at photogs for cataloging and presenting image libraries, but darned if I can remember the name of it. It's only out for Mac right now, but PC soon.

So, what do you use? :)
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

Adobe's new software (actually from Macromedia Labs) is called Lightroom:

http://labs.macromedia.com/technologies/lightroom/

Apple has new software called Aperture:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

I use iPhoto for loading and cataloging, with Photoshop for all of my image editing, but then I'm just using a medium-res digital point and shoot for most of my shots these days. (I have lots of slides shot with my Nikon, scans of which I work on in Photoshop, but I just have those scans in directories on my hard drive, rather than cataloging anything.)

What do you use?

- Steve

Fall Evening Light, Long Lake, Adirondack State Park, New York
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

I use my closet. If you want me to find a specific slide, give me 4 months notice.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Lightroom! Thank you! I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the name!

Well, I use a very complex system for organizing my photos. For those that are already scanned, I use a loosely named directory structure spread across four or five drives, in different locations. For those that haven't been scanned, I keep the slides in various places, on various shelves, and in various boxes. :)

God, I suck... :( I really need to get this crap organized!! :mad: Well, it's gonna be a crappy, rainy weekend, so maybe I'll just get up early Saturday and crank on the ol' scans! :)
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

So far I just back-up my stuff on CDs.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Mine are backed up on DVDs, and the recent ones are on the hard drive. (we get a little behind sometimes) And we back up the hard drive to a USB drive daily.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Well, I picked up a copy of Adobe Album... Definately not what I'm looking for, and definately NOT for photogs. After trying numerous freebies, I think it's come down to writing my own. :(

If you could design your own image cataloguer (of sorts), what features would you want it to have (short of duplicating Photoshop features)?