Vogelsang to Donohue Pass cross country possible?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Vogelsang to Donohue Pass cross country possible?

Post by fishmonger »

Based on a number of photos of the area and looking at my maps, I plan on trying to cross country hike from Tuolumne Pass above Vogelsang High Sierra Camp over to the Muir Trail just below Donohue Pass, rather than to drop all the way into Lyell Canyon and then crawl back up to Donohue.

Has anyone hiked this area? I've never been up to Lyell, only looked at it from other peaks in the area, so I don't really know what the conditions are like below the glacier. Is it rough/loose talus or can one make decent progress across the terrain? I expect snow to be another factor in mid July.

The ridge crossing south east of Ireland Lake is one area I can't find any images or information about. Does not look too steep on the topo. good news there is that we can abort and head down the valley.

Anyway - the red line on the map top left to bottom right is what I have in mind:

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/prop ... onohue.jpg

comments?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Vogelsang to Donohue Pass cross country possible?

Post by fishmonger »

forgot to add this link - looking along my route, this doesn't look too bad from space :unibrow:

seems like the areas I plan on crossing are pretty polished by gaciers of the past and well below the really steep stuff.

http://maps.pomocnik.com/satellite-maps/?map=2587
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Fishmonger,
This may be too late to help, but my wife and I did a big loop around Lyell late last June and into early July. I finally posted a report with some photos on 26th September, so if you take a look at that it may help. The bottom line is that there are plenty of "doable" routes through that area (where you won't need ropes), and it is mighty peaceful. Hope it works out!
Cgundersen
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Oops, the more important part of that report did not go up till Oct.8th; sorry for the oversight!
CG

PS: if you have a specific route in mind, I could probably dig out more photos to illuminate (or, tell you what I recollect)
danmitch
Topix Novice

Post by danmitch »

I cannot give you the specifics any more, but I've actually read descriptions of travel from Vogelsang to Lyell, and you sure as heck can get from Lyell to Donohue.

I've done a fair amount of off-trail walking above and beyond Vogelsang, and there are a lot of wonderful opportunities for this in that area.

Dan