Fires/Smoke Effects on Backpacking Trips

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fires/Smoke Effects on Backpacking Trips

Post by hikerduane »

Great link Dave. No wonder one can't get away from the smoke.
Piece of cake.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Attached is a website that links to a bunch of webcams in the sierra. Gives a good Idea of how widespread the smoke is.

We are not likely to have significant fires in most places in central oregon for some time as we still have as much as 5 feet of snow on trails above 5500 feet on the east side of the cascades. But because of the snow Neither the Cascades or the Eagle Cap wilderness will be ready for backpacking for another few weeks. Oh yeah if you head north be ready for clouds of mosquitos!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

How about the link: http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/swfrs/Pages/WebCam.html

Just went outside and was hammered with the smell of Smoke! Small fires to the west and east of Bend. Also saw lightning to the S. so I guess that while the high cascades are covered in snow the lower area is drying out and we may join California in dealing with smoke.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

We don't have much smoke over here. I can smell it when I wake up and go outside, then that's all I notice it all day. But...we have those nice ocean breezes. I have friends in Gilroy tho that aren't even riding their horses during this. They have that Ventana fire right in their backyards! You folks just want to go on a day hike tho, come to Wilder or Rancho Del Oso etc in my neck of the woods...we're ok here...unless we get another big fire of our own, keep your fingers crossed for us!
Dee in Santa Cruz
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Here is another good site that shows the fires from a satellite view:

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/imagery ... ay=2008180
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

We just got back from Lassen Volcanic. Cut the trip short, getting too smoky. On the plus side -- paddling on Butte Lake was outstanding. We were the only ones on it and the water was glassy smooth in the mornings.

May try the Warner Wilderness next weekend (a 3 day. yay!!). It may be a bit clearer, farther from the fires. We'll keep an eye on the weather and fire activity this week.

I just shake my head when I realize I breathed this crap for a living for thirty years. Now I want nothing to do with it.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

June 27-28: Views were great from peaks in Mammoth this weekend (blue skies, puffy clouds, cool breeze), but when I drove south towards Bishop it was ugly. I could barely see Mt Tom, and couldn't see any other peaks south of there. (~4pm Sun) Normally you can see the Palisades and peaks around Bishop Pass. Temps were in the high 90s. It got a little better as I headed south.

June 26: From Mount Dana, views were a little hazy but not as bad as I expected. Smoke only affected my photos.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Dave I was referring to the colors at sunset which can produce some very dramatic
photo's because of the filtered effects you referred to.
I to am putting off my trips hoping August will bring clearer conditions for photography
plus I really do not want to breath in all that smoke for several days in a row.
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

I'm really trying to decide whether to postpone my 4th of July trip to the Tablelands in Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Any thoughts?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If photography is not a big part of your trip then I would say go, though one of
the highlights of Tablelands is the view from the area above Big Bird Lake towards
the sierra crest, so if that and other views are limited by smoke why go?
You should call the wilderness office at Lodgepole the day before to find out about
current condition, and if the smoke is pretty bad then go later in the summer.