Mono Lake winter kayaking

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Lake winter kayaking

Post by nazdarovye »

Buck Forester wrote:I'm surprised more people don't do it. In fact the rangers who issued my boating permit thought I was crazy! Maybe I am, I hope to do it again this winter.
Buck -

If you don't mind others on the trip, I'd be up for this. I have a Hornbeck Lost Pond carbon fiber solo canoe I dragged back to CA from NY and have been itching to get out with; this seems like the perfect combination of elements to pique my interest, too (being a photographer, avid snow camper, and having that ultralight canoe that's in need of being taken out more here on the West coast).

Fantastic pictures, btw - I've shared this link with a number of friends, and all have been blown away by your work.

All the best,
Steve
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Thanks, Steve, and that would be cool if we could hook up for a winter paddling trip. I'd prefer to to go with someone because a spill into the frigid waters during the exposed crossing to/from the island could be quite serious. I hit some strong winds on my crossing and I just about filled my chones from the excretement, I mean, excitement. There ain't nobody there in the winter. Let's keep in touch... I have two 3-day weekends in February that we might be able to choose from if it works for you.
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

Sounds good - maybe we can even find another like-minded person or two.

I'm fairly flexible; I also am able to do things mid-week sometimes, if that works for you. I'll check back with you when our February schedule sorts out a bit more.

- Steve
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Cool, the more the merrier! Just to let you know, I seek storms. If it's forecasted to be a gorgeous weekend, that's when I go because weather.com is always wrong. - Buck Forester, aka Storm Shooter.
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

Buck Forester wrote:Just to let you know, I seek storms.
Hah! Sounds good to me.

Just got a new Hilleberg Saivo I'm itching to take out in *real* weather...
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Cool. I'm pretty hardcore though. Even in the winter I just take some clear plastic sheeting from Home Depot and duct tape it to my trekking poles which I cram into the snow. But if it's clear out, I like to sleep underneath the fake stars.

Oh, I jest. That's an awesome tent. I have quite a quiver of tents for all seasons, but nothing quite as nice as that.
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

Buck Forester wrote:Oh, I jest. That's an awesome tent. I have quite a quiver of tents for all seasons, but nothing quite as nice as that.
That's OK - it's so heavy, I'll probably just end up tossing it in the lake. I think it weighs more than the canoe.

(Actually, it is part of my nefarious plan to lure my girlfriend out onto more trips.)
Last edited by nazdarovye on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

One Zero Two

Post by Shawn »

So today I finally drag my sorry butt to the doctor and he tells me after a couple of xrays that I have bronchitis. He also said I had a temp of "one zero two". It seemed odd the way he announced "one zero two" instead of "102".

Anyway, he said to wait in the lobby for a couple of minutes while he writes me a prescription. In the lobby, I pick up a magazine and flip open the back cover - slightly amused that I turned to page "one zero two". That's when my foggy brain dialed in to the outstanding photo on page 102!

I had to move quick - you know how those magazine thiefs are at the docs office. I hastily ripped out the page and stuck in in my pocket just as the doc returned (thus the bad scan).

Your photo looks great in the magazine Buck!

Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hey, that's the image!

Buck "I see 14,500 peaks" Forester.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

I picked up the magazine today while I was searching for frozen dinners, very cool Buck.