Outward Bound Group Missing In Sierra Since 22nd

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Outward Bound Group Missing In Sierra Since 22nd

Post by maverick »

Does anyone know what mountain exactly this group of backpackers where attempting
to climb?
All the news and radio say is an area 10 miles west of King Canyon.
I hope they didnt get buried by an avalanche or rock slide, but for a group of that
size to be all missing I cannot think of anything else.
Let's hope for the best and keep them in our prayers.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Outward Bound Group Missing In Sierra Since 22nd

Post by tomcat_rc »

I missed this story - do you have a link
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Here's a link to the story. The story alludes to climbing Mt. Shinn. I hope they are all alright, and my thoughts go out...

http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=8553129
Search Continues For Missing Hikers Near Courtwright Reservoir
Posted: June 25, 2008 09:13 AM

Efforts are intensifying in the search for nearly one dozen hikers, missing in the Fresno County mountains.

Fresno County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Crews are searching from the sky and on the ground to find two adults and nine teens last seen three days ago, hiking near Courtwright Reservoir.

The adults and teens, between the ages of 13 to 16, failed to meet up with a third guide as planned on Saturday.

The group's hike was part of a two-week "Outward Bound" adventure. "Outward Bound" is a wilderness recreation group based out of Midpines, California.

The groups had left Maxon Trailhead for their two-week expedition on June 14th, and was seen on June 22nd at the Burnt Corral Meadow area. According to authorities, the group was planning to climb Mount Shinn located a few miles away. One of the adult guides left the group to check Mount Shinn to see if it would be a suitable climb for the group and they all agreed to meet at Red Rock Basin later in the day. After checking Mount Shinn, the guide hiked to Red Rock Basin but the group was not there.

The guide began his own search for the group, but after two days of not finding them he contacted Outward Bound who then contacted the Sheriff's Office.

The Fresno County Search and Rescue Team is being helped in their search by volunteer mountaineers, mounted posse and the Eagle One helicopter.

The search area elevation is nine to ten thousand feet.

Authorities say the teenagers are from all over the country, and according to personnel from Outward Bound, their parents have been notified.
Stay with KMPH and KMPH.com as we continue to follow this story.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks TB for posting the link I only found sites that had a couple of sentences with
not nearly as much info.
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

Looks like they're all ok.

Outward Bound: Missing adventure group found safe

By TRACIE CONE – 14 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Nine teenagers and two adults who were reported missing in a rugged area of the Sierra Nevada mountain range hiked to safety Wednesday, hours after rescue teams launched a search.

The teens, ages 13 to 16, and their two 30-year-old guides turned up at a remote camp store several miles outside the search area, said Brad Mushovic, executive director of wilderness programs at Outward Bound, the nonprofit group that organized the expedition.

The hikers had last been seen on Sunday.

"We're happy to see such a positive outcome," Mushovic said. He reported no injuries.

The hikers were nearing the end of a two-week backpacking and rock-climbing trip in the Sierra National Forest about 10 miles west of Kings Canyon National Park. They had supplies to last them through Friday, according to the Fresno County sheriff's office.

They were reported missing to authorities on Tuesday, two days after the group missed a rendezvous with a third guide. That guide had separated from the group Sunday to scout a possible climb. When he returned to the prearranged meeting point, the group wasn't there, Mushovic said.

The guide, who was in possession of the group's only satellite phone, called Outward Bound officials for help, Mushovic said.

Fresno officials and parents of the children were called Tuesday when the group still hadn't been found, he said.

One of the adult instructors called Outward Bound after the group emerged at the Florence Lake Store near the midpoint of the John Muir portion of the Pacific Crest Trial, about three hours east of Fresno.

The teens were part of Outward Bound's Sierra Rock Climbing Expedition, a $1,795 back country trek to the Courtright Reservoir on the Sierra western slope and into steep terrain.

The teens were from all over the country, including Hawaii, Connecticut, Montana, Massachusetts and California, sheriff's officials said.

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great news!! Thanks Vaughnm.
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

At this point I have got to wonder what the story inside this story is. Was it miscommunication, incompetence, what? Was the plan to exit at Florence? All in all, it doesn't sound too good.

Mike
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Mike McGuire wrote:At this point I have got to wonder what the story inside this story is. Was it miscommunication, incompetence, what? Was the plan to exit at Florence? All in all, it doesn't sound too good.

Mike
Right! Now that they're out, there's got to be a good story in here! Those Outward Bound guys are typically extremely fit and blindlingly competent, at least in my experience, and Florence Lake is a pretty long way from Courtwright ;) . Hmmm...