Osprey Aether Pack, going from 5200 CI to 4700 will I notice

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Osprey Aether Pack, going from 5200 CI to 4700 will I notice

Post by madeintahoe »

I sure hope I did the right thing :eek: ...I just bought an Ospery Aether 75 backpack on line..149.50 with free shipping & a 5% discount...the total price came to 153.00. I just could not pass that up.
I have used an old Alpine Lowe pack for over 20 years..and decided it was time for a new pack, I started looking and researching last year, but never got one.

Not 1st trying on this pack does concern me a little bit...Osprey told me if I wanted to, I could get a womens hipbelt put on this one.
My old Alpine Lowe pack is 5200 cubic inches..this one is 4700. Do you think I will notice a huge difference losing 500 CI of space?
Thanks everyone :)
If anyone is interested where I got this pack..let me know and I can send you the link to the website
earthwalker
Topix Newbie

Post by earthwalker »

Going to a smaller pack is like moving into a smaller house, always a good time for getting rid of something you don't need.

I use an Aether 60 for winter camping and find it just right. Great deal on the A75!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you Earthwalker...Yes like moving into a smaller space, thats a good way to look at it. :D
Im very excited to be finally getting a new pack, I will miss my old Alpine Lowe...she has been a good friend to me on the trails...but she is telling me she needs a rest.
I called REI in Sacramento and they were very helpful..told me I can bring the pack to them and if need be they will take the hipbelt and form it to my hips with that new custom molding they do on Osprey packs, also if I wanted a women's harness they would just switch it out with mine with a women's harness free of charge.

It may feel perfect as is without having to do all that, I will just have to wait to try it on. I should get it either today or tomorrow. Glad to hear you are happy with yours.
Thank you for posting :)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

What time you going to the Sac store? I live 2 miles away and would enjoy seeing how they switch out, fit, etc...
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Mark

I don't know when I will be going to the REI Sac store yet....It may be a while yet before I can get down there.
It would be pretty cool to see how they change the belt and harness out & that machine they use to do the custom fit to mold the shape of your hips.
When I do know when I will be able to get down there...I will let you know
Thank you :D