Route Suggestion for Thousand island lake trip.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Route Suggestion for Thousand island lake trip.

Post by Aviprk »

I'm going on a 3 day 2 night trip this coming weekend and will be leaving from the Devil's Postpile ranger station towards Minaret, Cecile, Iceberg and Ediza lakes to Thousand Island, which I heard it's a classic. I wanted to camp at Nydiver lakes and Thousand Island with a possible attempt at either Ritter or Banner. Someone in these forums suggested that the cross country route from Thousanld Island to Garnet Lake and to Ediza was very beautiful. What does everyone think? Is it hard cross country (with lots of talus) or moderate?

Also, if I wanted to climb RItter or Banner, Is there anyway to bypass the glacier by going the talus way? My friends never crossed glaciers and I don't want this trip to be their first time - not to mention my mediocre experience with them.
dmdhiker
Topix Novice

Re: Route Suggestion for Thousand island lake trip.

Post by dmdhiker »

Aviprk, how about your experience with snow, there should be plenty where you want to go. Interested to see your report when you return.
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Post by markorr »

No significant talus traversing between the lakes
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Aviprk

IMO your going to early, especially with inexperience hikers, your putting yourself and
your friends at risk, sorry to sound blundt , but I dont want anyone to become a statistic!
Iceburg, Cecile and Nydiver Lakes will be frozen solid and the rest are questionable at best.
You'll need an ice axe and crampons around Iceburg and to get up either peak, which you
should'nt even attempt without experience.
You'll have to be prepared for winter camping up high, which also means melting snow
for water and cooking food, have you ever done this before, especially for more than
on person?
LarBear
Topix Novice

Post by LarBear »

Did you do this trip? The posts are right. The route from Garnett to Nydiver is a steep North facing slope that carrys snow until August. Ice axes and crampons for sure and difficult to do this now on the route you suggest, especially with newbies.