Desolation 4 Day Route?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Desolation 4 Day Route?

Post by frediver »

Well that kinda says it all. I have only four days available and I would like some trail advice.
I will be hiking with a Bud who has not done much backpacking before and in somewhat worse shape than I am.
We are hoping for time in mid-late July, its not set in stone but 3 nights and 4 days is about my time limit from work. I would hope to have some chance of actually catching fish in a couple
different lakes.
I have read a few different guide books but there is nothing like real trail experience. Can anyone suggest a decent moderate route with a total distance around 15 mi that would keep us busy for
3.5 days? I will be driving from the S.F. area.
Thanks
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Desolation 4 Day Route?

Post by hikerduane »

Well this is a third attempt to post here. Computer problems I guess.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

For your requirements, Echo Lake TH, ferry across Echo, bp up to Lake of the Woods or Aloha, second day to Heather or Susie, third night back to Aloha or Lake of the Woods. I'll keep this short, maybe it will make it now.
Piece of cake.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

At 4 days, 3 nights and 15 mi. total, Hikerduane's suggestion is probably the best. There are plenty of variations to work off of that route to various lakes along the way, and there is good fishing for big fish to be had, too. One can also go out of Glen Alpine and visit Heather, Susie, Half Moon, and Gilmore, but, the Echo L. boat ferry entry offers more options and less elevation gain.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerdog
Topix Newbie

Post by Jerdog »

Does anyone know if he can go from Echo to Tahoe City, and then take the TART shuttle back down to to South Lake? That way he wouldn't have to do a loop.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

That would be more miles than they want to do, but can be done. I don't have a map of the Tahoe Rim Trail, so I'm not sure exactly where one would exit to get to Tahoe City, Blackwood Canyon or whatever that is or Caspian?.
Piece of cake.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

OK I'm sure 20mi is do-able in 3 days.
Thanks for the responses, the Echo lk to Aloha looks like it has lots of options.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

A couple older gentlemen passed away while on a two day bp trip to the Eagle Lake area. An autopsy showed the first man had a heart attack and the second man was hiking out to get help after dark and fell down a steep enbankment and was knocked unconsious. He died from his injuries and the cold. One was 70 and the other 78.
Piece of cake.