Fair Price for a shuttle

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
tory8411
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Fair Price for a shuttle

Post by tory8411 »

Two questions:
1. Besides the fuel costs, what would be a fair price for someone to shuttle clean, fresh and excited hikers to, and stinky, tired and weary wanderers back from a trailhead? My friends (4 of us) and I are trying to do a Rae Lakes loop Jun 21 - Jun 23. Instead of looping out of KC where we could drive ourselves, we were thinking of coming in the east side and maybe coming out the KC trail and would need a ride at least to the start. We might be able to make a trip the night before and leave a car at the KC end site.
2. Anyone interested? We all live in Fresno.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Tory
jimqpublic
Topix Acquainted

Re: Fair Price for a shuttle

Post by jimqpublic »

If somebody is doing it as their occupation the 700 mile round trip is going to be very expensive. If they're doing it as a favor it's a different story.

Friends and family often do favors for each other. Surely out of four hikers you know someone who would ride over and drive your car back from the east side?

Given the choice though, from Charlotte Lake I'd rather walk 15 miles downhill to Cedar Grove than hike 7 miles up and over Kearsarge pass, then drive 350 miles back to the start point.
Jim
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

A few years ago, I drove 2 friends to the west side, and hiked in with them, and hiked out the next day. A week later, I drove to the east side, hiked in and out the next day with them. So I got two weekend trips in (they paid for gas, got me an REI gift certificate and a big bouquet of flowers), and they got rides. It worked out for all of us.

Maybe some friends can join in for a few days on each end?
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Post by tory8411 »

Thanks for your suggestions! We're not completely decided on what to do yet but I appreciate your feedback very much!
Tory