GC of the Tuolomne/Ten lakes loop August 3-9

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

GC of the Tuolomne/Ten lakes loop August 3-9

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Planning a 6-7 day trip from White Wolf clockwise. Would like some help with campsites. We will probably stop at Harden Lake the first night to reduce the strain on my Brother-in-law’s knees, and I think I want to avoid camping at Glen Aulin. Prefer to keep days under 10 miles, but are capable of more if needed. Any suggestions?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: GC of the Tuolomne/Ten lakes loop August 3-9

Post by markskor »

I agree with direction, but Harden is a marsh....better to head down part way.
I wish Topo zone still worked (so I could point them out but), but there are some nice places about 2 -3 miles down...following the creek so plenty of water.

Then Pate anywhere is good to stay a night, or maybe a side trip a bit west towards Hetch Hetchy deserves a look.
From there towards/below Waterwheel/Leconte falls area...not much if I remember, but once 1/2 way back up...middle of the 3 falls...lots of green canyons and sites galore.

BTW...good fishing...deserves a layover day in the flats among the falls.
That area about 1/2 mile below Glen Aulin has some nice areas too.
Hope this helps.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Yeah, I had heard that Harden was a swamp. I was thinking that Morrison Creek might be a better choice and you just confirmed that. Right now I'm thinking Morrison Creek, Pate Valley, Waterwheel Falls, Polly Dome Lakes, Toulomne Peak (short trail day possibly bagging the peak), Ten Lakes, and then out to White Wolf. That would give us six nights/seven days. What do you think?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
dodgerbill55
Topix Novice

Post by dodgerbill55 »

If you camp at Morrison Creek you should make the effort to climb to the top of the granite on the left side of the trail. The top is level and gives you a magnificent view up and down the Tuolomne. Well worth the effort.
Take care of the land...Someday you'll be part of it