water filter

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

water filter

Post by don norton »

can anyone share any info on new MSR water filter (hyperflow) as to ease of use is cost worth it
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: water filter

Post by gary c. »

I'm glad you asked, UPS delivered mine a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to post and ask what others thought and give my opinion. I have not had it out for a real field test but I did use it hear at the house. It does and is everything that the manufacturer advertisements say, it's small, litewieght, and pumps water like crazy. My problem is what the advertisements don't say. The manual suggests backflushing after 8lts of use. I'm not sure that I would have ordered one if I had known that. It's actually quite easy to disassemble and flush but I'm not sure it's worth doing daily. No tools are required and it does not take long but still :\ I have a couple treks on the calender and probably won't know just how I feel until after I get back. Other than the maitenance it appears to be the best filter I think I've ever seen.
Gary C.

There's a good video review of the HyperFlow at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvKkqH70Zs

The link is to part 1 and after watching that you can click on part 2.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Well, I lost another long reply. Eric.

Here is a discussion with one of the MSR reps, a member on The Lightweight Backpacker. I posted a link to The Backpacker, TT forum in there also. http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html
Piece of cake.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

hikerduane,
I've lost several posts also. Mine get lost when I type out a post with a link attached then preview the post. The whole point of previewing the post is to make sure that the link works. The problem is that when I "go back" from the link my actual post is lost and I have to retype the whole thing over.
Maybe the Admin can find a fix? ;)

Also thanks for the link. After doing a search on the BP site I found this thread. It made me feel a lot better about not having to backflow as often as recommended.
Gary C.
http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showt ... w=&sb=5&o=
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

That is the link I thought I had copied and pasted. I see the one I posted only goes to the forum. Arrggh! Thank you.
Piece of cake.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

hikerduane wrote:That is the link I thought I had copied and pasted. I see the one I posted only goes to the forum. Arrggh! Thank you.
That is why it would be nice to preview a post and the attached link before submitting :unibrow:
-- Lionel Terray
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

If you right click and choose "open in new window" you will not loose the original post.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

MountainMinstrel wrote:If you right click and choose "open in new window" you will not loose the original post.
Technical Support Forum Thread on this issue.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

I personally stopped filtering when a study was done a few years ago that said that the High Sierra's water was cleaner than San Francisco's. I have friends who have never filtered and never been sick. I've never been sick. Not filtering sure saves weight and time and is one less barrier between me and communion with the Sierra.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I agree with above...In the Sierra, I never filter above 7,000 feet,
never got sick...
Over 1500 bag nights and counting, but,
you can carry what you will.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout