suggestions for June ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mujtabag
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

suggestions for June ?

Post by mujtabag »

I was hoping to take a week long backpacking trip in July, and had been planning to head into the Kern Basin from Mineral King.

Unfortunately, I've had to pull it forward into June, starting maybe June 9th.

I'm worried about raging creeks, and snow or ice at higher elevations. That said, I'd really like to go somewhere spectacular, with good fishing.

I was thinking of the following:

- Ansel Adams, maybe up to Garnett or Ediza if the trails are not (too) snow-bound
- the Golden Trout wilderness, out to Kern Lake from Jerkey Meadows, though I'm not sure that this will be as beautiful
- ?
- the Emigrant wilderness? or perhaps Jennie Lakes? or just a section of Rae Lakes?

Any suggestions?

thanks,

-Mujtaba
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Re: suggestions for June ?

Post by markorr »

This time last year (lower snow year for sure) we did an awesome loop in the Ansel Adams Wilderness linking a bunch of lakes, partially cross-country: Minaret, Cecile, Iceberg, Ediza, Nydiver, Garnet, Thousand Island, then back via the JMT. we only hit snow between Cecile and Iceberg and then dropping down into Garnet. Ice axe and crampons were useful for the early morning concrete. I'll post a Rae Lakes TR shortly after the 10th
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

A June 9 start does tend to cut down your options a bit, especially if you don't want to cross a lot of snow and if you are looking for thawed lakes to fish.

Emigrant Wilderness, particularly the western part, offers some options, although one has to be a bit creative with routes to avoid some stream crossings.

There are some choice destinations in trailless NW Yosemite that would be thawed out, but these are pretty tough to reach (lots of rough cross country with considerable brush).

Early June would probably work for NW Desolation Wilderness: Buck Island L., Rockbound L., Rubicon Res., but I don't know how much more one can tack onto that to make a week long trip.

Similarly one can go out of Leavitt Meadow and hit a whole string of lakes and simply keep going up the ladder until one runs into iced over lakes. That approach may offer the most possibilities in terms of lots of lakes to fish that are guaranteed to be thawed. This is probably the best bet for a week long trip at that time short of getting creative in western Emigrant.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mujtabag
Topix Newbie

Post by mujtabag »

thank you all !