satellite image of Sierra Nevada snow cover

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

satellite image of Sierra Nevada snow cover

Post by SSSdave »

This morning of May 18, 2008 I screen captured the 10am PDT Goes West satellite 1k radar visible image for the central and southern Sierra Nevada off the web, enhanced the contrast a bit, and then added text and pointers indicating locations. When I look at these Sierra snow covered satellite graphics, I can readily tell where much of the subtle outline of white areas are due to my familiarity with map topography. The above graphic is also on the link below that contains additional information. The white to light gray areas on the image is remaining snow cover. Thus this map can be of some use to those who are planning get out in the near period. Of course the Memorial Day holiday weekend is a week away. Alpine areas of the High Sierra show the brightest while areas where snow has melted out become an increasing mix of gray. Dimmer gray areas are usually lower forest areas that show snow between trees. And note some areas that appear somewhat dark yet are in shaded exposure deep forests will likely still have snow down to lower elevations than it appears. Also even though some areas may appear well below snow lines, if one is hiking in such areas, ice cold snowmelt swollen rivers and creeks may still be impossible or dangerous fords. I have also added this image to my website homepage.

On my below website homepage, at top right select the sub-page link:

Spring 2008 wildflower areas: Current Climate Information

In the top paragraph is a furher sub-page link:

Update May 18, 2008 satellite graphic of Sierra Nevada snow cover.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: satellite image of Sierra Nevada snow cover

Post by The Other Tom »

Very nice. thanks for posting.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: satellite image of Sierra Nevada snow cover

Post by ERIC »

Hey Dave,

You might have already seen these pages, but thought I'd post them for everyone else. Kind of fun overviews of current snow pack/snow water equivalent conditions:

1) NOAA Regional Snow Analysis Animated Maps

2) Real-time Google Earth 3D Snow Analysis KLM Files
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix