Richard Kauffman still around??1960's photo he took

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Richard Kauffman still around??1960's photo he took

Post by madeintahoe »

Does anyone know if he is still around and taking photos still?
I am trying to some how get a hold of him in regards to a photo he took in the 1960's

Thanks everyone!
Ciocc
Topix Novice

Re: Richard Kauffman still around??1960's photo he took

Post by Ciocc »

Richard Kauffman passed away some years ago - he was born in 1916. I wish I had met him. He was a master color carbon/carbro printer and lover of the Sierra Nevada. His book, "Gentle Wilderness, The Sierra Nevada", got me started on my quest to make color carbon prints. His son is alive and living in Fresno, California. I have his contact information if you need it. I had planned to visit him to see his father's original color carbro's of the Sierra. Which photo are you referring to?

If you have an original print of his, not a reproduction, hang on to it. Carbro's are worth a lot of money.

Trivia: Richard Kauffman was the co-inventor of the Ultrastable color printing process.

Eric.
f/64 and be there an hour early.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Eric...Gosh sorry it took me so long to respond...thank you for the info. Yes I was not sure if Robert Kauffman was still living..I am sorry to hear this.

I just kinda wanted to thank him for a picture he took which holds a very special meaning to me...which I have also been to and have taken pictures of. This picture I talk about is on page 113 of Gentle Wilderness.
I was kinda curious what year he took this photo and his thoughts on this place...I was comparing his image of it and the ones I took as far as the vegetation how much more or less..was very interesting.

Don't know if I could possibly purchase a print of this? probably way over my budget.
His photos in that book I love..have had that book for years and never get tired of looking at his beautiful work.
Thank you for posting
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

I was also sorry to hear of Richard Kauffman's passing. When first published, his photos and the excerpts from Muir's writings in "Gentle Wilderness" resonated deeply with me. So much so that I lugged that bulky book around for years in search of my own dream adventures in Central and South America during the '60's. It was the one constant exception to my perceived goal of living simply and travelling light. And it kept me in touch with the Sierra when those mountains were soooooo far away. I still have the copy I bought in 1964, a little road worn now, but I can still get the same feelings when I look at Kauffman's photos. I always imagined his work must have touched the hearts of other people like it did mine. Thanks for proving me right. :)
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Ciocc
Topix Novice

Post by Ciocc »

It pleases me to know that others were touched by Kauffman's work in the way that I was. When I get that longing to travel vicariously in the Sierra through the photography of others, it's Kauffman's book that I reach for first.

That image on page 113 is one of my favorites too. Does it look much the same today?

Good luck finding a print for sale. He seems to be unknown in the photography fine art print market. Kauffman made a lot of prints, so I can only hope that someone has a print buried in a box somewhere in an attic or basement. Meanwhile, I plan to visit his son and see his father's original work. I'm sure he'll share stories of his trips into the Sierra with his father.

Eric.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Just FYI - this is currently on eBay -

9 Color Prints - Richard Kauffman The Sierra Nevada

Excellent pieces ready for your framing and matting. These are remaining of a portfolio called Gentle Wilderness: The Sierra Nevada that was originally 15 prints. Included in auction is 9 full-color prints 13 x 17 full size - image sizes vary. Included are Center Basin, Shoreline Evolution Lake, Rising mists Yosemite Valley, Evening light, Columbine Lake, Devils Postpile, Seed pods, Alabama Hills and Sierra escarpment, Sundown Mount Winchell, Happy Isles winter morning (this print minor damage).
Ciocc
Topix Novice

Post by Ciocc »

I own the complete portfolio of the 15 Kauffman prints. This portfolio is a collection, albeit rare collection, of reproductions. They're not original prints. I want an original because they were made using the Tricolor Carbro pigment process. That process is absolutely lightfast. Those color prints will not fade on display. Ultrastable and Evercolor modernized the Tricolor Carbro/Carbon pigment process using digital separations. All of those permanent color pigment processes have disappeared, because not many people are willing to pay the price for a permanent color print. They're very expensive because they're difficult processes and it's very time consuming to make a print. It can take a master printer one week to make the first good print, not including the time spent making the separations. For the truly masochistic, it's still possible to make a Tricolor Carbon at home. Another quality about Tricolor Carbon/Carbro pigment prints is that they can have physical relief. They are literally three dimensional. No other photographic process can do this. With the right subject matter it will truly knock your socks off.

Eric.