Wonoga Peak, 5-10-08

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
MooseTracks
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Wonoga Peak, 5-10-08

Post by MooseTracks »

After a pretty harsh day in the Whites Friday, I 'slept in', grabbed breakfast with a friend at the Petite Pantry, then headed back down to Horseshoe Meadows Road for a rematch with Wonoga. Needless to say, it was WAY too easy the second time around, only taking an hour to reach the summit, but the sun was beautiful, the gliders buzzing my head, and the wind calm. So I perched on the summit for about 90 minutes dozing, checking out the view, and taking pics.

Some notes:
1) Turn right at the fireplace. Seriously. There are no better redneck directions needed.

2) Follow the creek. Deviating from the creek will lead to bloodshed.

3) Head east until you can't head east any more (going down, fast!). I still did a bit of bushwhacking to gain the western ridge of the peak, which wasn't bad, but heading to the very top of the gulley is MUCH faster and better. Come back to the summit once you've passed it.

4) Kick it and listen to hanglider whistle immediately above your head.

5) Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Instead head directly down and then back up to the Whitney Portal, where the STORE IS OPEN! Best burgers on the PLANET!

Nice afternoon, and stayed at the Portal Saturday night for playing on Sunday.
Rest of the pics are here:
http://flickr.com/photos/moosepics621/s ... 019086555/

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Wonoga Peak, 5-10-08

Post by Rosabella »

Nice trip, Laura! I love the "bubbles 2" picture! Mmmmm.... and the burger, fries, and beer made me smile.

I'll be back in a couple months.... can't wait! :)