Cottonwood Lakes Area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Cottonwood Lakes Area?

Post by Take-a-Hike »

Does anyone have any idea if the trail to and the area around the lakes would be suitable for a trip this weekend, the 10th thru the 12th? I have two kids, 25 and 26, one home from college til his summer job kicks in, the other w/an in law babysitter for the weekend and they're feeling their oats for a weekend trip. I think it's too early, declined their come-along (I profess to being a fair weather bp'er), but agreed to try to find them someplace close to go where they wouldn't kill themselves. They're long on desire, short on experience. Ideas?
TIA,
T-a-H
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cottonwood Lakes Area?

Post by maverick »

Road to the trailhead is still closed and snow level is 7500 ft according to the
Inyo NF site.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

the road is open to HS Meadow,
Moose Tracks has current picts of Trail Peak area as of yesterday
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

You might have a bit of trouble following where the trail might be unless you are good with map and compass. Its a great cross country area so long as you know where it is you are going to and how to get there. Thats the problem with waking up in the morning with a foot of new snow and you decide its time to go back to the car. If you have a good memory and while on the way up you kept looking back..... :)

Snow is probably not so bad yet that you will spend a lot of time postholing.