Horseshoe Meadows Update 5-4-08

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
MooseTracks
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Horseshoe Meadows Update 5-4-08

Post by MooseTracks »

After a nice breakfast at the Mt. Whitney (WHAT?? Not the HSC??), I drove up to Horseshoe Meadows to hike Trail and Wanoga Peaks. The road is clear and dry, save for some gravelly rockfall along the way (usual, really). There are a few snow patches--easily avoidable--on the road just before the main parking area. The meadows are quite the sodden mess, and the snow is spiked into Nieves Penetentes (sun cups all grown up). But the weather, for the most part, stayed north, giving me cold sunshine to play in. Didn't see another soul all day. Looked like NAP still has some snow on it but not bad.

Hit Trail Peak: took the long way up by going to Trail Pass and turn right. Descent was much better along the north ridge. I would recommend it for ascent also: much more interesting and fun conditions to practice standing glissades on the way down.

Tried Wanoga Peak: failed routefinding 101. I thought the ridge would be interesting, but it's basically nonstop unnecessary scrambling and tree-wrestling. In fact, I had another pants casualty. I need to take up a collection, or sew some canvas into the butts of my pants. :mad: And I did see the super-easy ramp up to the summit, but ended up on some Class 3 something that made me pause since I was on my own. Descent was down the gulley that I should have come up. Hint: turn right at the fireplace!! What IS it about me finding these things right now??

I'll be back sometime this week to finish that little job. :mad: :mad:

Pics are here.

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
Lucrativ
Topix Novice

Re: Horseshoe Meadows Update 5-4-08

Post by Lucrativ »

Looks good ...nice post
Moondust
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moondust »

Well, better that your pants need stitches than some other body part :) Maybe you should start carrying a seat-sized piece of plastic in your pack.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

You were almost there! We went to the right and worked our way up (Cl 2)

Looks like great conditions for hiking! We had flurries in Mammoth.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;