camera recommendation?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

camera recommendation?

Post by gdurkee »

So it looks like by digital camera just went belly up (seems to be eating cards -- zapping the data).

Any recommendations for a simple point and shoot digital camera? Able to be carried around in a backpack. Ideally takes batteries, rather than recharge it, otherwise long life between recharges.
I don't even know enough about them to list what would be important, but not at the professional level, price wise. $100 to $200??

Thanks!

g.
Strider
Topix Regular

Re: camera recommendation?

Post by Strider »

I got a Samsung S630 at a Fry's Electronics for under $200 that is 6 megapixels and has all the features you would need.
'Hike long and perspire'
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

For a little extra, I bought a Casio Exilim 10.1MP at Costco for around $300. I then purchased an extra battery for it that I charge and bring with me on long trips. Extremely happy with it... It's small, light weight, easy to use, large LED screen, takes great shots, and the extra battery always seems to get us through extended trips.
Regardless of what camera you choose, I would suggest not limiting yourself to just AA batteries. Find a camera you want, and simply purchase and charge up an extra battery or two of whatever type it takes. Whatever it is, more than likely the battery is available at a reasonable price online. Try Ebay, or Google 'Shopping' tab.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

My first stop would be on http://www.cnet.com to check the reviews for Point n Shoot cameras, I call them PHD's (press here dummy).
Consider that a requirement for traditional batteries will mean a somewhat larger camera. Battery
packs in the newer PHD's last a very long time and as others have said you can get a spare, still
AA's are everywhere.
For a small (almost) camera I would stick with Cannon, Olympus, or Fuji as a distant 3rd. IMO the
Cannon's take the nod in the PHD's cuz of the lense options.
Remember good glass is more important than pixels. Our 4.2MP Olympus takes better pictures
than my wifes 7MP PHD.
Having a viewfinder is nice because it will save the battery power you would use with an LED display.
Have fun on your quest.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

ERIC wrote:...I then purchased an extra battery for it that I charge and bring with me on long trips. ...the extra battery always seems to get us through extended trips. Regardless of what camera you choose, I would suggest not limiting yourself to just AA batteries. Find a camera you want, and simply purchase and charge up an extra battery or two of whatever type it takes.
In the past I've had bad luck with self-discharge in rechargeables; is that a problem that's now been solved? What do you mean by "extended trips?," Eric—are we talking, say, four or five weeks? That would be really impressive -- I hate to strew my used AAs all over the planet, but on a cold morning at the end of a two-week trip I've found that I could take pictures with my used lithium AAs when nobody with rechargeables could even get their cameras started. I'd be delighted to hear that battery makers had solved that problem.

-B2
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

I took this camera and an extra battery with me (fully charged) on a 13-day trip to China. Had the charger with me, but never used it for fear of damaging it, or the batteries, by plugging it in to the cruise ship's questionable power supply. Shot about 350+ photos, and 10+ videos (almost all daytime, so not much use of the flash albeit). No problems at all. Not really sure about the self-discharge issue. If true, it wasn't bad enough for me to notice.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Well, after much reading of everyone's thoughts, and online reviews, I went for the Canon Powershot 750 -- partly based on how quickly I could get it. Going to my brother's wedding on Friday... . Jeez, there's a lot of stuff out there. One of the things I was worried about was the rechargeable battery, but Eric's comment plus how cheap an extra is, made me feel better about it. I'll hope for the best.

Huge thanks to all of you for your ideas.

Next, 'cause a guy can't have too many gizmos, I'm thinking of getting a GPS logger to geocode my photos. I'm looking at the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr bluetooth version. I'd like something that will also give a gps signal to my pda, in addition to later merging my photos with the coordinates from the track logger.

Anyone have any experience with these things? (Is this now straying too far from Photography and edging into Gear Topics??)

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

g.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

George, do you have a special mount for your laptop so it is always accessible when you hike? I'm laughing myself silly with an image of you loping down the trail with all that electrical gear. I suppose the NPS issues you some kind of electronic phaser/sword instead of a gun now a days.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

I keep it in a sling on my back, like one of those Scottish Claymores. When confronted by a data crisis, I whup it over my shoulder, boot and code.

Last of the Renaissance Rangers... .

g.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

"Get that fire out before I have to show you the Blue Screen of Death!"