Permit Info

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Permit Info

Post by rayfound »

I am filling out my permit information for Pine Creek pass, and it says "Wilderness Boundary" - I was planning on camping the first night at Bircham Lake(Between the 2 Pine Creek Lakes), en route to Pine Creek pass . Where is the Wilderness Boundary (at the trailhead, or at the Pass)?

Is Pine Creek Pass the name of the trailhead, or does it have another name when filling out the permits?

Bear Canister Regulations: Does anyone know what the regulations are in the French Canyon area?

Thanks,
Ray
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Permit Info

Post by hikerduane »

I think in the past I have put down Pine Creek for the th, the wilderness boundary is a little above the pack station, look at your map. Canisters are recommened but not required where you are going. There is a link somewhere in this forum for canister required areas. Do a online search too, not that hard to come up with the info.
Piece of cake.
SPeacock
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by SPeacock »

BearCan requirements

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bear.shtml

Inyo National Forest, eastern and central Sierra Nevada, California:

* the John Muir Wilderness east of Kearsarge Pass (the boundary of Kings Canyon) and west of the Onion Valley trailhead (near Independence, Calif.)
* the main Mount Whitney Trail (starting from Whitney Portal, near Lone Pine, Calif.)
* Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin region (Palisade Basin area)
* Rush Creek area (west of Devil's Postpile National Monument to Ritter Range, including Shadow Lake and Thousand Island Lake)
* Duck Pass/Purple Lake region (south of Mammoth Lakes, Calif.)
* Little Lakes Valley (south of Mammoth Lakes)
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Thank you both.