Desolation GPS data?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Poopah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Desolation GPS data?

Post by Poopah »

I'm looking for better trail data than I've been able to download from various agencies. Does anyone have GPS data of trails in the Desolation wilderness they're willing to share? I went to look on the Topo! website but it looks like they're revamping their site and all the shared data is unavailable. Any format will do, I'm pretty handy. Would be willing to barter some custom mapping services.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Re: Desolation GPS data?

Post by gdurkee »

Do you have access to the USFS data sets? If not, I might be able to get their trails layer as a shape file. Not 100% sure, but I could check. What forest is Desolation in?

George
Poopah
Topix Acquainted

Post by Poopah »

Yeah, I downloaded the 'transportation' layer from the USFS for El Dorado NF. It had some of the trails, but not all - including the ones I"m looking for. I currently have the data from the DLG topo, but it's clearly off. I know that the FS GPS'd all the trails in the area but can't seem to find them online. Was hoping someone kept a track log that had a more accurate representation of the trails.

Thanks for the offer tho.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

You might just call the GIS person for the Forest -- they might have it, just not ready for prime time. Also, a couple of years ago, some PCT association was putting together a full map set of the entire trail. I should probably know (but don't...), but does the PCT go through there?? If so, contact the Pacific Crest Trail Association. They might know the folks who did the maps. They met with all the associated agencies to ground truth it.

Good luck,

George