Harley Peak 03-29-2008

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Harley Peak 03-29-2008

Post by tomcat_rc »

This was my second time up this peak overlooking Kernville. Met with members of the KRVHC for a day of hiking. I left a little early as I wanted to bag Pk4176 which leads up from the singing gate. It is a hill really but has great overviews of Kernville and some of the surrounding flower-laden canyons. Almost everyone summited including Kathy in her walking cast(she can't wait to get that thing off by now). Doug showed us the old trail to the Harley Mine and several of us went down to explore. We found were the mine office, Smitty's shop and tram tower(foundation still stands). Seven of us took the old miners trail down to Kernville and were rewarded as the trail lead right through some great hillsides of wildflowers including poppies and lupine.

deer foraging in the morning:

Kathy arrives at the summit 5 miles from the trailhead - in her walking cast:

broken hub by the tram foundation:

miners trail through the flowers:

pictures of the album:
http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/46 ... HwH#P-1-15
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
KathyM
Topix Novice

Re: Harley Peak 03-29-2008

Post by KathyM »

That was a fun trail, especially coming down through the remains of the old mining operation and finding those amazing poppy fields. Spring is so beautiful in the Sierras. The cast wore out on that hike and was replaced by a shiny new (shorter) one. I was a pooped puppy by the end and was very glad to see Tom's green truck coming to the rescue. (Thanks, Tom :) )
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Unbelievable! Nothing will stop you! :D :D :D

Beautiful poppies!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

Kathy! You are HARDCORE, girl! Way to go!!

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621