Butte Lake Lassen VNP

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Butte Lake Lassen VNP

Post by hikerduane »

http://ladymaritel.smugmug.com/gallery/4596429_ZPCAG/1

Maria, (Lady Maritel) hosted a multi-night trip off of Hwy 44, into Lassen Volcanic National Park here in Northern CA this last weekend, starting Friday afternoon. The road into Butte Lake is on the east side of Lassen VNP. The hike in had very little elevation gain, with 400'-500' elevation gain to Butte Lake I believe, I don't have my map handy. Four of the small group I belong to, including me, started Friday afternoon and hiked in about 3.5 miles, before one of our group who is recovering from health problems got tired. We were able to drive in over a mile before snow forced the one vehicle to park too. I had offered to bring my snowmobile to haul the lady in to the Park boundary, but she felt up for the hike. Three others of our group, joined us Saturday afternoon for conversation, gear talk, sledding and a night out in the snow. All of us hiked up to Butte Lake on two different trips to view frozen over Butte Lake and the snow covered Fantastic Lava beds. Gorgeous. We received some light snow Friday and Friday night to make for a whiter scene on Saturday, maybe half an inch.

The group I belong to does quite a few trips thru out the year, some were off to the Grand Canyon and are to do the Lost Coast this Spring.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Re: Butte Lake Lassen VNP

Post by Snow Nymph »

Looks like a fun trip. Bet that breakfast was good! I remember you like to cook some meals on these trips. That looked like some fun air on your gaitor-shovel or whatever 'sled'. Guess if you're determined, you can make it work. I have a sled for backpacking that has not been used yet. Hope Theresa is ok. thanks!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you Cori, T was sore but did ok. I was worried that I should have gone back and got my snowmobile to carry her some of the distance. I was sore like she was and I jog a couple times a week. After the rest of the group came in on Saturday, the sledding activity picked up since I tried my gaiter and then my shovel before we had the short sled. I caught some good air, but upon landing, it sure jarred one, so I only went over the snow covered log a couple times. All I needed was to do a good number on my back some more. Even old Frank who has to be in his sixties or late fifties at least gave it a shot on the plastic sled he had Steve haul in on his pulk. Good, fun trip. The pancakes were excellent, used a mix from the food coop instead of that old Bisquick stuff, although I forgot to pack an egg to mix in.

Slow Nymph, I sure wish I was skiing, loved your photos from last weekend and the honeys at the restaurant.
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Butte is one of our favorite local haunts for paddling.

Here is a write-up I made for paddling.net

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1936
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

If you judged the area by a map like I had done, you would think the area was void of trees. I thought the cg at the lake was very nice and had plenty of restrooms and what looked like possilbly showers too. If the road was paved, I would take my motorcycle up there for a weekend trip. Maria has a July 4th car camp trip planned for another area of the Park.
Piece of cake.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Looks like a fun time- good to see Theresa out there!! :)
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Theresa was getting tired after hiking for 1 hour 45 minutes or so. I was getting worried that maybe I should have hiked back and got my snowmobile to carry her a short ways. I was still worried on Saturday after we hiked up to Butte Lake for lunch. She didn't over do it which was good and she slowly made it out on Sunday, where, once again I was worried that it would be too much and be a set back for her. She has a six day trip planned for late July, if she keeps it up, she should be able to do it I hope.
Piece of cake.