Speaking of trips...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Speaking of trips...

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

One of the earliest season trips into the deep Sierra I have done (several times in fact) is the Lloyd Meadow TH to the Kern River, which can take you as far as Chagoopa Falls and Kern Hot Springs (hot tubbin'!) and further (with at least one possibly tricky stream crossing: Rattlesnake Creek (and yes there are rattlesnakes along the way)). The best part is that the hike can be done in May, even early May! Most of the time I went around May 18th. Of the four or five times I have done this trip, I have only seen one small patch of snow in a very heavy snow year, and a number of wild fearful bears :bear: . Someday it will be a Sierra-Trails story due to the many scenic viewpoints all along the trail, not the least a view up the Kern Trench past Chagoopa all the way to Harrison Pass (covered with snow) and Kern Lakes. I have been toying with the idea of suggesting guiding a group hike, not a bad idea because the trails after Jerkey Meadow are confused and without signs and there is indeed one best way to get to the Little Kern River bridge. There is great camping at Trout Meadows (but no trout without a long walk from camp). There is a great group free unimproved CG near the TH with water close to the pack station(and a CG at the TH without water). The area is accessed via Porterville (higher route: snow may be a problem from there) and Lake Isabella (no snow problems), the road junction to the TH is near Johnsondale. Even if I could not go this time, it would make for a good group hike. I do not know if there is interest in this trip, but if so, have a say.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Baffman
Topix Regular

Re: Speaking of trips...

Post by Baffman »

Too far to drive for me. Sounds like a good early season alternative.
Moondust
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moondust »

Doyle, I would like to do this trip! I have dayhiked as far as Trout Meadow from the Jerkey trailhead and have just been looking at the Golden Trout map earlier tonight. Maybe we could make it a partial loop trip? I could go almost any time in May except the first weekend.

Alice
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Baffman wrote:Too far to drive for me.
Part of the charm is that it is far from everybody, north, south, east or west. :cool: I would drive from the Grapevine rest stop (near LA) where I spent the night, be up at first light, eat, get my permit and be on the trail by 10 AM. Those coming from the east would have to drive around to Isabella because the pass via 9 Mile Road would be closed except in a real dry year. Those coming from the west might be able to drive directly there through Camp Nelson if the snow has been cleared, otherwise, Isabella. I have a map I may post.

Moondust: I will have to see as MAY draws near if I actually have the time to do this.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Here is a handy link to the trailhead and area:
http://www.climber.org/DrivingDirection ... eadow.html
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails: