Need Advise on Golden Trout Wilderness Loop End of June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lightning Dog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Need Advise on Golden Trout Wilderness Loop End of June

Post by Lightning Dog »

Hiking in the Golden Trout Wilderness from Jerky Meadow Trailhead doing the Doe Meadow, Kern Flat Loop over the June 20-23 weekend with a possible 4th day on Monday. Any advice on campsites, river crossing and fishing hints would be appreciated. The 4th day is for exploring/fishing if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks....
trav867
Topix Regular

Re: Need Advise on Golden Trout Wilderness Loop End of June

Post by trav867 »

I probably dont need to tell you that the Golden Trout Wilderness is a great place, and you're sure to have an awesome trip! The only fishing I've done there was near Hocket Lakes in the Kaweah River last May. In an afternoon a buddy of mine and I caught (and released) around 30, 6-12" trout on medium brown floating flies. The mosquitoes would have eaten us alive if not for our long pants and shirts. Good luck!
Moondust
Topix Acquainted

Re: Need Advise on Golden Trout Wilderness Loop End of June

Post by Moondust »

I did read that crossing the Forks of the Kern can be hazardous in peak runoff. I was looking at a similar loop to do in late April or May but was concerned with the crossing. Does anyone know how dangerous crossing the Little Kern at the Forks of the Kern might be? In the Jenkins book, it says to be careful but does not totally discourage it. In Swedo's book, she implies that it is too dangerous.

Alice