New and different Winter trail suggestions

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
hikerboy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

New and different Winter trail suggestions

Post by hikerboy »

We are lookin for some Sierra suggestions for a few days around the 21st of march. We have hiked out of Mosquito flats and Cottonwood and want something a little more challenging. We have moderate ice experience and would welcome any suggestions. Thanks Mark
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: New and different Winter trail suggestions

Post by copeg »

Do you have a preference for entry (east or west/north or south) or duration of your trip? Preference for High altitude or forest?
I was actually thinking of posting a similar question because I feel dried up with ideas (although I like to blame it on ideas its probably more like being dried up on time :crybaby: ). I prefer high altitude, relatively short trips in winter/early spring and, since I live in the Bay Area - prefer a west side entry. Here are a few short trips I've done and would highly suggest:
-Instead of Little Lakes Valley. cut north to Hilton Creek Lakes
-Snow Creek -> Tenaya Lake/Yosemite High Country (alternatively a Tioga Pass entry toward Tuolumne)
-Desolation Wilderness near Tahoe
-Mammoth -> 1000 Island Lake/Garnet Lake area via San Joaquin Ridge.
-Badger Pass to Glacier Point
A few trips I'm dying to do but we'll see when that ever happens: North Lake -> Piute Pass (Desolation Lake), Lodgepole in Sequoia to Panther Gap (and perhaps beyond), Lodgepole -> Tablelands, Badger Pass -> Ostrander and beyond, Mt Lassen area, White Mountains.
dpmach
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by dpmach »

so glad i found this post. those are some great suggestions. do you happen to have some pictures of the hikes around this time of year?
copeg
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

dpmach wrote:so glad i found this post. those are some great suggestions. do you happen to have some pictures of the hikes around this time of year?
Not really hikes this time of year....more like skiing or snowshoeing :) . There are some pics of these places from my winter/spring trips to them my website: Hilton Creek Lakes, Desolation Wilderness, Glacier Point, Yosemite High Country, 1000 Island Lake