any trip recommendation for the week of Mar 24-28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dpmach
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

any trip recommendation for the week of Mar 24-28

Post by dpmach »

Hi guys and gals,
My friends and I are planning to embark on another sierra backpacking during the week of 24-28 this month. Im not too sure what would be a good hike around this time of year. We did pine creek trail up to honeymoon lake this past summer (with alot of help given by one of the site's members). Of course this time of year would be different. I'm hoping to get some tips on where would be a good place to go without a lot of snow and great mountainous/lake views :). My friends are hoping to have a start in Yosemite and go into the back country (if that's not possible then starting somewhere on the eastern side is ok). We want to go into ansel adam or domes but not too sure of the conditions and where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks all.
dpmach
Topix Novice

Re: any trip recommendation for the week of Mar 24-28

Post by dpmach »

Ok i've been doing some searching, reading, and looking at images in this forum. Yosemite is most likely the destination for us. We are now highly inclined to do Half Dome. Preferable overnight or two before we climb the cables. Does anyone know if the cables are up and good for this time of year? or anyone whom i can contact? We are planning to stay in yosemite for 4 days. I will keep this update as to what i find and further questions that i might have.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

DP-
While that portion of Yosemite high country is certainly do-able...the Dome and all, expect some snags in your early agenda.
First of all, looking at current web-cams of surroundings, expect serious snow crossings immediately past LYV...the trail might be clear, but most probably not...forest and sheltered.
About the cables being up...they are always up...just the poles and cross beams come down for the season..(stacked at the bottom)... They usually re-assemble the "~60" or so poles/2-by-fours around Memorial Day...or maybe earlier in May if conditions warrant...they will post on the park site as to when exactly.
From Happy Isles, the Mist will be a wet trip...but worth it, or you can take the Muir (nearby), up to LYV...expect freezing nights. Glacier Point trailhead will also probably be still seasonally closed.

All in all an arduous adventure, at best...perhaps a Hetch Hetchy "out-and-back" hike might be much easier.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
dpmach
Topix Novice

Post by dpmach »

thanks for the info. i've actually checked out the np website for yosemite. It seems like the places i want to visit will be closed off or difficult to traverse. I think i will hold off yosemite til later in spring or early summer. I will have to find some spots on the eastern side of the sierra now. or go down south to mojave.