Red's to Bishop Pass or Bishop Pass to Whitney

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dharter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Red's to Bishop Pass or Bishop Pass to Whitney

Post by dharter »

are the options for this year's Sierra trip. I am sure there are any number of opinions, so have at it! :) Logistically, I will be arriving from Las Vegas late afternoon on a Wednesday. I would leave the rental car in Mammoth Lakes or South Lake so that I could get on the trail with minimal delay. Is one location better (safer for parking, easier to return to/get a ride back from) than the other?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Doug
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Red's to Bishop Pass or Bishop Pass to Whitney

Post by BSquared »

If you want high altitude and high solitude, go south. Except for the Rae Lakes Loop, it's much less traveled (i.e., between Bishop Pass and Woods Creek, and then again from Vidette Meadow to about Guitar Lake). And usually getting rides to almost anywhere (my own experience excepted ;) ) is dead easy from Whitney Portal.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I agree with everything BSquared has said. The southern stretch you mention has a lot more altitude, and a lot of opportunities to get off trail (if you like that sort of thing) and see some spectacular scenery - on or off trail. Many of the stretches are also a few days from the nearest TH for most people, making it more deserted when compared to the northern stretch.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Bishop to Whitney hands down especially if you have never visited the
area before.
Rae Lakes may be busy but all you have to do is stay at Dragon Lake
and you'll have all the solitude you want.
At Guitar Lake stay up towards Arctic Lake if its crowded.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Another recommendation for south. And if you are adventurous check out a few x-country route options.

From Dusy Basin over Knapsack Pass into the Barrett Lakes then over Potluck Pass to Glacier Lake then over Cirque Pass to pickup the JMT near N. Palisades Lake.

For Vidette Meadow head up to Center Basin over Junction Pass down to the Symmes Creek Trail then up over Shepherd Pass. Pickup the JMT at the Jct with L. South America Trail, or once over Shepherd Pass climb over the ridge to the south and into the Wright Lakes Basin. From this latter pick up the JMT where it crosses Wright Creek.